Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5s home screen graphical glitch

I was lucky enough to score an iPhone 5s on Friday, and now I am wondering if an issue I am having is a software glitch or a hardware error. When I am using my 5s, when I either use the app switcher or the home button to go back to the home screen, when I get there some wierd thing happens when the first second I get back home the icons shift around, it looks like they are moving, then they center. When I open a new app it does it sometimes too, like the app moves up and down then centers itself. I tried a reinstall of iOS, and could not replicate the issue on my old iPhone 5 or a 5th gen iPod touch both running iOS 7.0. My iPhone is running iOS 7.0.1. Please help, I am going to be really upset if my phone is the only one doing this.

iPhone 5s, iOS 7, iOS 7.0.1 AT&T 16 gb.

Posted on Sep 22, 2013 7:16 PM

9 replies

Sep 22, 2013 10:47 PM in response to dannyfromberlin

Yes I am having the same problem when I go into a app and i hit the home button and it goes back to the home screen it shake not all the time but often to make it annoying. I also am running 7.0.1 but my iphone 5 7.0 isn't having that problem. If you go to setting and turn on reduce motion it stop but I like that 3d feature. I'm hoping it a software glitch if not I might return the phone and maybe exchange for another.

Oct 5, 2013 1:41 AM in response to dannyfromberlin

I am having a similar problem. When exiting apps the background image like shifts (and I don't mean by the effect they added in iOS). It is a really clunky shift. And the icons can sometimes seem to lean to one side more than the other. This has also happened in other apps, like Safari. I did not have this problem on my iPhone 5. I am running iOS 7.0.2

Safari normal: http://imageshack.us/a/img513/5055/yr6.png

Safari glitch: http://imageshack.us/a/img405/8638/oolm.png

Homescreen normal: http://imageshack.us/a/img404/863/pcvy.png

Homescreen glitch: http://imageshack.us/a/img30/4469/wd8.png

Notice how the left margin is much greater. Also I am not holding it to the right to make it like that.

Oct 9, 2013 8:06 AM in response to dannyfromberlin

I thought its the problem with just my phone alone. Looks like the phone tries to do the parallax effect but somehow the icons or the background wallpaper initially gets misaligned, so the software tries to correct it where the glitch happens. This glitch does not happen when we turn off the parallax effect. But Apple must fix this.

Also, the compass does not work properly. I am sure many would not have checked. Open the compass and place it on a flat surface. The small and large plus in the compass does not align. Only if we lift the phone about 1 or 2 inches on the bottom right side, the smaller plus aligns with the larger plus which is not correct. Apple must fix this too.

Nov 15, 2013 11:55 AM in response to dannyfromberlin

7.0.4 and I'm still seeing this problem. Turning reduce motion on hasn't fixed it for me. What's strange is that some people are saying they've seen this but they know it's already been fixed. Both my girlfriend and I have a 5s (on 7.0.4) and are seeing this annoying bug. I have a new iPad mini and an old 4S here - both also on 7.0.4 - and it's not there. I tried on a colleague's iPhone 5 and it's not doing it so it seems like it's definitely a 5s issue.

Dec 12, 2013 7:31 AM in response to dannyfromberlin

I'm having the same issue! - it's espectially annoying when you are in the middle of a text message or email and you can't access the menus at the bottom of the screen. (trash, send, etc). This has been happening now for a couple of months and I've tried all of the typical fixes mentioned above. Rebooting does fix the issue temporarily and I seem to be rebooting once a day or every 2 days. I think I will take the phone into one of the Genius Bars today - hopefully the phone will recreate the problem when I'm there.

iPhone 5s home screen graphical glitch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.