Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Nothing but Chrome can connect to internet

It seems that nothing can connect to the internet except Chrome, Bittorrent, (edit: And apparently Xchat Azure). Safari can't, Steam, iStudiez, ownCloud, Google Drive, App store, iTunes, nothing else can connect.

Yet at the same time, I AM connected to the internet, and Chrome/Bittorrent seem to be functioning perfectly normal.

It seemed that Facetime worked, because it tried to put a call through, but couldn't connect in the end (Not sure if they just didn't pick up though)

Why and how can I get the other programs to function correctly?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X ML (10.8)

Posted on Sep 22, 2013 8:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2013 4:31 AM

Sounds like you might have a proxy set up in your Network System Preferences.

Select the Network service you are using to connect and click the Advanced... button.

Look at the Proxies tab and see if you have anything selected there.

If so, and you are not supposed to be using a proxy, deselect it.

You can ignore the Passive FTP checkbox. It is not a proxy and won't cause the problem you describe.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 23, 2013 4:31 AM in response to cclloyd

Sounds like you might have a proxy set up in your Network System Preferences.

Select the Network service you are using to connect and click the Advanced... button.

Look at the Proxies tab and see if you have anything selected there.

If so, and you are not supposed to be using a proxy, deselect it.

You can ignore the Passive FTP checkbox. It is not a proxy and won't cause the problem you describe.

Sep 23, 2013 4:52 AM in response to cclloyd

I have cca 7 months ago switched to Mac and from time to time i have the same problem, mostly visible in Safari with broken webpages without images. Also iTunes and AppStore cannot login to store displaying some error or weather widget cannot fetch forecast. But torrents are working also Skype is OK or Mail app..

Sometimes reseting Safari helps or deleting DNS cache or restart my iMac helps. I have tried also restart my DSL router or refresh DHCP but what helps me every time (last problem yesterday after a month or so..) was application OnyX. I have deleted every possible cache which can be deleted through this app and my Mac is back to normal..(propably 1-2 restarts are needed to rebuild all possible chaches again)

IMO this must be some kind of a fatal bug in OS X networking, i have no other explanation for this. I have no custom dns set-up and also recommended solutions like use OpenDNS or Google DNS are not working. It's a mystery 😟

Sep 23, 2013 12:33 PM in response to cclloyd

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It’s unlikely to solve your problem. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.
The purpose of the test is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party software that loads automatically at startup or login, by a peripheral device, or by corruption of certain system caches.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards. Boot in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem. Note: If FileVault is enabled on some models, or if a firmware password is set, or if the boot volume is a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to boot and run than normal, and some things won’t work at all, including sound output and Wi-Fi on certain models. The next normal boot may also be somewhat slow.
The login screen appears even if you usually log in automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem?

After testing, reboot as usual (i.e., not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of the test.

Mar 13, 2014 4:17 PM in response to X6205

I actually believe this OnyX application may have been my issue too. I deleted all reminants of it and all internet related applications started working again, after a full Shutdown.

Also I repaired disks through Disk Utility.

I also upgraded all the software through Apple updates, but that was impossible for a while because of "no internet connection."

Miraculously Chrome was getting to the internet all the time.

Anyways issue was resolved for me with those 3 efforts listed above. Not entirely sure which one worked! But thanks for the OnyX removal tip!

Nothing but Chrome can connect to internet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.