Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WiFi self assigned IP and no internet connection after OS & iTunes upgrade

I have two likely related issues that started as a direct result of upgrading to OS X 10.8.5 and/or iTunes 11:

Starting tonight, after upgrading my OS and iTunes I am no longer able to use Home Sharing between my iMac and Apple TV. Apple TV is logged in to my network and Home Sharing is on, on both devices (signed in to the same account), but Apple TV says Home Sharing is not connecting to my iMac. My iPhone 5 is also not showing a Home Sharing connection.

I've restarted both my iMac and Apple TV several times. Logged in and out several times. Turned Home Sharing off/on several times, power cycled and reset my network modem once.

While trouble shooting my Home Sharing connection I noticed that under my Network settings, Wi-Fi is yellow instead of green and reads "Self-Assigned IP... Wi-Fi has the self-assigned IP address xxx.xxx.xxx.xx and will not be able to connect to the Internet.".

When I go back to Apple TV I've found that althought it's connectted to my iMac through WiFi and I can see my purchased movies I can't view them becasue there is no connection to the iTunes Store (no internet coinnection through WiFi). But my actual network connection on my iMac is just fine.

So it seems that my new OS or iTunes upgrade has caused my WiFi to no longer allow an internet connection across teh wireless network.

Can anybody here tell me why that would happen and how can I fix it?

Any help is greatly appreciated,

David

Apple TV (2nd generation)

Posted on Sep 22, 2013 9:03 PM

10 replies

Nov 8, 2017 4:07 PM in response to rosamond46

I had same problem. Couldn’t figure why so I tried to update that’s when I found the issue. The owner of the system is the only person able to update. Apparently the system was given to a friend without removing the ownership. I temporarily solved the issue by manually/Static entering an IP address and dns server address. User can access the internet. Advise customer to contact the original owner to have him release the system for the customers use. Not informed as how that process works.

Sep 23, 2013 8:12 AM in response to DMedeiros

Back up all data before making any changes.

Step 1

Take all the applicable steps in this support article.

Step 2

If you're running OS X 10.8.4 or later, run Wireless Diagnostics and take the remedial steps suggested in the summary that appears, if any. The program also generates a large file of information about your system, which would be used by Apple Engineering in case of a support incident. Don't post the contents here.

Step 3

If you're not using a wireless keyboard or trackpad, disable Bluetooth by selecting Turn Bluetooth Off from the menu with the Bluetooth icon. If you don't have that menu, open the Bluetooth preference pane in System Preferences and check the box marked Show Bluetooth in menu bar. Test. Continue if you find that Wi-Fi is faster with Bluetooth disabled.

From that same menu, select Open Bluetooth Preferences. If the box labeled Discoverable is checked, uncheck it. Click the Advanced button, and in the sheet that opens, uncheck the top three boxes, if any are checked. Click OK. Enable Bluetooth and test again.

If the application called "Bluetooth Setup Assistant" is running, quit it.

Step 4

This step will erase all your settings in the Network preference pane. Make a note of them before you begin, and recreate them afterwards. It may be helpful to take screenshots of the preference pane.

Triple-click the line below on this page to select it:

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration

Right-click or control-click the highlighted line and select

Services Reveal

from the contextual menu.* A folder should open with an item named "SystemConfiguration" selected. Move the selected item to the Trash. You may be prompted for your administrator password.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard (command-C). In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar, paste into the box that opens (command-V). You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

Step 5

Reset the System Management Controller.

Step 6

Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store, or go to another authorized service center.

Back up all data on the internal drive(s) before you hand over your computer to anyone. There are ways to back up a computer that isn't fully functional — ask if you need guidance.

If privacy is a concern, erase the data partition(s) with the option to write zeros* (do this only if you have at least two complete, independent backups, and you know how to restore to an empty drive from any of them.) Don’t erase the recovery partition, if present.

Keeping your confidential data secure during hardware repair

*An SSD doesn't need to be zeroed.

Sep 23, 2013 9:25 AM in response to Linc Davis

I've already tried most of the usual steps described in that support article. Most other help doesn't seem to apply... I'm not having wirelss connectivity issues TO my iMac, my ethernet based internet connection is just fine. Even my wireless connection between Apple TV and the iMac works.

The issue is the WiFi will no longer carry an internet connection TO my Apple TV, although nothing other than the OS changed since yesterday.

I've emailed my DSL provider to see if they have encountered this issue before. My modem is old and may not be supported by the new OS, but I don't know why that would only show up across th WiFi netowrk.

Wirelss DIagnostics only gave me a generic Best Practices doc. Nothing relevant or that I can control directly listed there.

Sep 23, 2013 10:41 AM in response to DMedeiros

If you don't already have a current backup, back up all data, then reinstall the OS. You don't need to erase the startup volume, and you won't need your backup unless something goes wrong. If your Mac was upgraded from an older version of OS X, you’ll need the Apple ID and password you used to upgrade.

If you installed the Java runtime distributed by Apple and still need it, you'll have to reinstall it.

Sep 23, 2013 8:50 PM in response to Linc Davis

All right here's what the fix was for me, and thankfully it didn't require re installing the OS!

All I need to do was go into my Network settings, write down the IP address for my Ethernet. Go into my Wi-Fi settings, select the Advanced button and under TCP/IP set Configure IPv4 to "Using DCHP with manual address" and enter the same IP as my Ethernet.

After that my Wi-Fi status went back to green and every thing works again it should. I got the tip for the video linked below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulHud2DnVbI

Thanks for all the help though.

WiFi self assigned IP and no internet connection after OS & iTunes upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.