Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can i update to ios 7 if i am using a macbook 5,1 that runs iTunes 10.6.3?

my macbook is the 5,1 model and i know it's running on outdated software, but i am unable to afford the software update at this time. i have an iphone 4s and i haven't had any issues performing software updates in the past with this computer. i would download ios 7 over wifi, but the wifi option on my iphone is permanently grayed out, as a result of downloading ios 6 (i have already tried restoring, didn't work). i am unable to update my iTunes, as a result of the os on this computer being outdated. again, i am running itunes 10.6.3, i think. itunes recognizes that ios 7 is available for download when i plug in my iphone, but when i click on the "Update" button, a box saying "This version of iTunes (10.6.3) is the current version." comes up.

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Sep 22, 2013 9:41 PM

2 replies

Sep 22, 2013 9:44 PM in response to zjw97

Well, you have to minimally upgrade to Snow Leopard 10.6.8:

Upgrading to Snow Leopard

You can purchase Snow Leopard through the Apple Store: Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - Apple Store (U.S.). The price is $19.99 plus tax. You will be sent physical media by mail after placing your order.

After you install Snow Leopard you will have to download and install the Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.1 to update Snow Leopard to 10.6.8 and give you access to the App Store. Access to the App Store enables you to download Mountain Lion if your computer meets the requirements.

Snow Leopard General Requirements

1. Mac computer with an Intel processor

2. 1GB of memory

3. 5GB of available disk space

4. DVD drive for installation

5. Some features require a compatible Internet service provider;

fees may apply.

6. Some features require Apple’s iCloud services; fees and

terms apply.

But this costs money, so you can't do it. That means your are stuck where you are.

can i update to ios 7 if i am using a macbook 5,1 that runs iTunes 10.6.3?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.