Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV Bricked after software update V.6

Any suggestions to restore

iPhone 4, iOS 5

Posted on Sep 22, 2013 9:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2013 11:15 PM

Follow the instructions here:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5355514

Your AppleTV is not bricked. The update did not install successfully, so you need to restore it.

25 replies

Sep 23, 2013 6:05 AM in response to arcray12

Apparently, reading Google News, this is a common MAJOR issue to many users. My Apple TV version 3 is also bricked after updating the first day.. I went to restore mode via iTunes 11, even after downloading the firmware from iTunes, it failed to restore. I then went to download the older firmware and manually select it for restore (option+ click restore), it attempted to restore but I get the same message, failing to restore. I believe my Apple TV is totally bricked. I am a but upset that Apple would not fully test the firmware prior to release. My Apple TV does not have any extraordinary functions, no jailbreaks etc.. So, issues should not have taken place. I do hope Apple will not give me a hard time to replace the device.

<Edited By Host>

Sep 23, 2013 8:50 AM in response to polatfromfairfax

polatfromfairfax wrote:

Apple took it down, besides, it was a genric instruction which would not work with this issue..Most of those Apple TVs are permanently bricked..

That is completely false. The AppleTVs are not bricked. You don't even know the definition of the word. People are able to restore the AppleTV using iTunes and a Micro-USB cable. The OTA update did not work and the AppleTV needs to be restored with iTunes. If the AppleTV does not appear in iTunes, try pressing Menu and Play/Pause buttons on the silver remote for seven seconds to force the AppleTV into DFU mode. The AppleTV 3 requires a power cable and the Micro-USB cable. The AppleTV 2 only requires a Micro-USB cable. Plug in the USB cable before plugging in the power cable on the AppleTV 3.

<Edited By Host>

Sep 23, 2013 2:56 PM in response to Peter Hillman

"You don't even know the definition of the word"

--Very Rude and a personal attack....You are making a lot of assumptions on what I know and what I do not know without required knowledge, you assume that I did not use the necessary cables, iTunes or follow required algorithm avaliable in dozesn of sites. Apple forum here is almost last stop for me when theer are no solutions to inform others...

Even if you do not agree, I ask you to please refrain from making assumptions on others' knowledge and be courteous of disagreements.

"People are able to restore the AppleTV using iTunes and a Micro-USB cable."

---SOME people were some were not.. Apple kindly exchanged their devices for those it could not restore..

I am an Apple user who owned 3 Apple TVs so far... That is said..Issue remains..Again, Apple has already exchanged a substantial number of devices to some of the users. Some users were able to restore, some did not, even by Genius Bar...

Please no assumptions......

Sep 23, 2013 3:17 PM in response to polatfromfairfax

polatfromfairfax wrote:

I am an Apple user who owned 3 Apple TVs so far... That is said..Issue remains..Again, Apple has already exchanged a substantial number of devices to some of the users. Some users were able to restore, some did not, even by Genius Bar...

Please no assumptions......

Congrats, you have owned three AppleTVs. Are you supposed to be treated special because you have three when others have one? How do you know how many people have restored successfully and some have not? How do you know how many have had their devices exchanged by Apple? How do you know how many Apple employees have not been able to restore an AppleTV? You are the one making assumptions! Do some research, most have had no problems restoring the AppleTV when they follow the directions. There are more people comfirming their restored AppleTV than others that claim they can't do it. So you believe MacRumors, a RUMOR site? You should do research elsewhere. You should stop assuming that no one can restore their AppleTV only because you cannot restore yours. Good luck to you.

Perhaps you should read the comment further above in which the original poster followed my advice, restored his AppleTV successfully, and personally thanked me for helping him. For what you incorrectly assumed was "generic instructions that did not work with this issue" solved the original poster's problem.

Sep 23, 2013 4:32 PM in response to polatfromfairfax

I see you can't accept the fact that you are wrong. You did not help the original poster. Your first post was to rant against Apple for releasing an over the air update that caused a problem. You did not offer any solution to the original poster. How do you consider that helping to solve the original poster's issue? You came into the forum to complain, nothing more. Then you make assumptions that no one can restore their AppleTV and Apple employees could not restore them. This was not true as many people are reporting success in restoring them, including the original poster in this thread.

I provided instructions on how to restore the AppleTV using the full restore ipsw file and you alleged it was generic instructions that did not solve the problem. However, the original poster later thanked me because the instructions I provided actually fixed his problem and he can now use his AppleTV. You got all bent out of shape because you think all AppleTVs are "bricked" when they are not, and you continued to make false assumptions. You are just irritiated because the instructions I provided fixed the original poster's AppleTV, and apparently, it did not fix your problem.

Apple TV Bricked after software update V.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.