Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Audiobooks do not show as Purchased in iTunes

Am trying to get audiobooks purchased in the past to show up in iTunes under purchased link. I see nothing. My regular books are there but not one audiobook, any suggestions?

iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G, iOS 7

Posted on Sep 23, 2013 1:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2013 1:22 AM

Audiobooks are currently a one-time only download from the store, so they won't show in the Purchased tab - I believe that they are all supplied to Apple by audible.com, so I assume that it's them that are requiring the one-time only download.

Do you have copies of them on your computer's iTunes library (they will be in the Books part of your library if you do) or on your backup of your downloads which you can use to sync them to your iPad ? If you don't have a copy of them anywhere then you can try contacting iTunes Support and see if they will grant you a re-download : http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/contact/ - click on Contact iTunes Store Support on the right-hand side of the page, then Purchases, Billing & Redemption

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 23, 2013 1:22 AM in response to GwenS57

Audiobooks are currently a one-time only download from the store, so they won't show in the Purchased tab - I believe that they are all supplied to Apple by audible.com, so I assume that it's them that are requiring the one-time only download.

Do you have copies of them on your computer's iTunes library (they will be in the Books part of your library if you do) or on your backup of your downloads which you can use to sync them to your iPad ? If you don't have a copy of them anywhere then you can try contacting iTunes Support and see if they will grant you a re-download : http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/contact/ - click on Contact iTunes Store Support on the right-hand side of the page, then Purchases, Billing & Redemption

Sep 23, 2013 6:41 AM in response to King_Penguin

Odd part of all of this is the audiobooks are on my iPhone but will not sync over to my iTunes on my MacBook. This all started when I went to backup my phone before upgrading to the new iOS and noticed the audiobooks missing on my MacBook even after the backup and sync.

I'm thinking unless there is a technical fix here the link you suggest above may be the solution?

Since copies of the audiobooks are on my iPhone would using iTunes Match be of any help here? I just don't understand why a backup and sync of my phone does not bring the audiobooks over to iTunes on the computer.

Sep 23, 2013 7:07 AM in response to GwenS57

The contents of the Videos and Music apps are not included in a backup (syncing is from a computer to a device), and iTunes Match is only for music (and you can only upload content to it from a computer's iTunes).

Does connecting the phone and doing File > Devices > Transfer Purchases copy them over to the Books part of your computer's iTunes ?

Sep 23, 2013 9:43 AM in response to King_Penguin

Thank You! That did it.

The audiobooks now show up in the books section of my iTunes Library, and thank you for clarifying the differences between backup, syncing and what iTunes Match can do.

One last question regarding iOS 7 and videos. It appears that with OS 7 I can stream iTunes video via wifii ( purchased movies and TV shows) directly onto my iPad and/or still have the option to download them. But only on the iPad ( haven't gotten brave enough to upgrade the phone yet). However on my MacBook Pro videos appear to still need to be downloaded, no streaming available. Does that sound correct? From everything I have read it seems right, but I'm just double checking.

Thank you again for your help.

Nov 16, 2013 6:28 AM in response to therealjb2

As far as I know my first reply on this thread still applies e.g. it's audible.com requiring the one-time only download - and other content will be redownloadable whilst it remains in your country's store.

If it's not on the computer that you usually sync your phone to then you should be able to copy it over : http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4527 (you should be able to use 'home sharing' to copy any content between computers).

If you haven't synced your phone to a computer before then there are instructions on this page for syncing to a new computer : https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3141

Nov 25, 2013 2:18 PM in response to King_Penguin

I didn't have any success trying the suggestions by King_Penguin as I got my audio book from a set of CDs.

iTunes readily imports the book and all CDs but it ends up putting all the content into Music and not into Books. I guess this must be due to the fact that the audiobook was supplied on CD just like music is on CD. So, when I couldn't find my books after spending an hour importing a bunch of CDs, I used the search function in iTunes to look up the author and promptly found my audiobook in Music.

My comment would be that if you imported the book via CD, you may be able to do as I did and find it. Is a book supplied on CD not considered an audiobook?

May 17, 2014 1:34 PM in response to nondescript74

I had this problem too. Heres what you do:

1) make a smart playlist that only contains music files over 20 min long (shorter than the shortest audio book file but longer than anything else like standup commedy)

2) select everything in the playlist and right click> get info . go to options and change media kind to audiobook. or if you can't go to sorting and change the genre to audio book.

Jul 17, 2014 5:28 AM in response to nondescript74

Often a book supplied on CD is seen by iTunes as an audio file just as music would be it is just save don the CD as a CDA file (CD Audio)

Find the appropriate ripped files in your iTunes library right click and select get info > options tab > media kind, change to audiobook

it will now be in your audiobooks section and should save your last position.

Audiobooks do not show as Purchased in iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.