Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPod Shuffle 4th Generation is not recognised by Windows7

All I get is "USB Device not recognised by Windows" message

iPod shuffle, Windows 7

Posted on Sep 23, 2013 2:59 AM

8 replies

Sep 24, 2013 12:01 PM in response to Mrs ReaperUK

So, it sounds like the computer is the same one, but you upgraded the OS from Windows 7 Pro to Ultimate. Did anything else change at about the same time, such as adding a new USB device, that is connected when you connect the shuffle? Or getting a new USB docking cable? Or start using a USB hub?

This document has some things you can try (when both the computer and iTunes do not see the shuffle)

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1369

Some of the items do not apply for a shuffle (2, 7, 8, 13, 14). #12 (Reinstall iTunes) may be relevant, IF you did not uninstall iTunes before installing the latest version.

Sep 25, 2013 7:17 AM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

Hi Kenichi,

No - nothing else was changed, added or installed - just the OS was changed from Pro to Ultimate. The ONLY thing installed since the OS upgrade was the latest version of iTunes as I was told that that might solve the issue with the Shuffle - apart from that nothing else has been changed - hope this helps.

One other thing, my friend has Windows 8.1 Preview on his computer & the iPod Shuffle was recognised & works fine on his, but I would really like it working with my own computer as I can't really keep going round just to add/delete music now & then.

Sep 25, 2013 12:03 PM in response to Mrs ReaperUK

I'm not clear if you did a removal of iTunes before installing it again, as suggest as a point in the previously linked document (point #12). That part of the document is detailed here

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1923

Other points from the previously linked document that may be relevant, if not already tried, are #5, 6, 9, 10, and 11. (Click on each point to expand the details.)

(I would not install Windows 8.1 yet; I don't think Apple officially supports it yet.)

Sep 26, 2013 12:41 AM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

Hi Kenichi,

Yes, I did uninstall the previous version first as recommended by Apple before insyalling the latest version & No, I am not upgrading to Windows8.1 - I was just informing you that my iPod Shuffle works on my friend's computer that has Windows8.1 as its OS.

I spent yesterday going through the points in the document you sent link to & tried the points you suggested - all to no avail as my Shuffle is still not being recognised by my computer - it finds it, tries to install it, then reports USB installation failed as USB Device not recognised.

My friend came round this morning & found in Device Manager that it is listed under USB as Unknown Device - Properties shows that Windows has disabled it "due to a problem with device" & "error 43" listed

Hope this is of further help in solving the problem & Thank You for the help you have already given..

Sep 26, 2013 1:36 AM in response to Mrs ReaperUK

Actually, if it is showing up in Device Manager, it is being seen by the computer, at least as a something connected to USB. Question - Even though it says that it is not "recognized," if you open the Windows Computer window, does the iPod appear there in any way?

Since your same hardware setup worked fine with Windows XP, and then Windows 7 Pro, but fails after the Ultimate upgrade, it is very likely that the problem is in the computer's Windows software and settings. In addition to the previously linked document, see if the advice in this document is helpful

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1363

These are the troubleshooting steps if Windows sees the iPod, but iTunes does not. In your case Windows does see the iPod, but it is not recognized as an iPod.

Unfortunately, I use a Mac and I'm not a day-to-day Windows user, so my expertise in the intricacies of setting up Windows is limited. There is a forum category for iTunes for Windows

https://discussions.apple.com/community/itunes/itunes_for_windows

You may want to ask this question there as well, along what you have done so far.

Sep 26, 2013 7:25 AM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

Hi Keniche,

When I open computer window its listed as Unknown Device - I have had a quick look at the link you sent me - it looks like a lot of work which I'll have to leave until the weekend due to work comitment (4pm to midnight today & 8am to 8pm tomorrow), but I will let you know how I get on & I will try the other community as well.

Many Thanks

My iPod Shuffle 4th Generation is not recognised by Windows7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.