Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 7 has bug in handling attachments on S/MIME Encrypted Mail

Since upgrading to iOS 7, my colleagues and I can open attachments on unencrypted e-mail messages just fine. When reading an encrypted message, we can see the message body text but the attachment pulsates inexplicably. I've included a screen-shot (moving GIF) and a brief writeup here...

http://snnyc.com/2013/09/ios7-smime-fail/

Robert Parks

iPhone 4, iOS 6.1.2

Posted on Sep 23, 2013 6:48 AM

51 replies

Sep 23, 2013 7:29 AM in response to Steve Nicholls

Steve -

S/MIME is on, and I'm able to send, receive and read encrypted messages on my iPhone and iPad running iOS 7. However, most encrypted messages that contain attachments - and particularly messages that were created using Microsoft Outlook - have an attachment icon that pulsates in an abnormal way. When the pulsating occurs, I'm never able to open the attachment.

I even tried wiping an iPad running iOS 7 and setting it up as if it were a new device, and received the same results. I'm confident that this is a bug, but would like to hear from someome outside my circle of colleagues who can share their own experiences post-upgrade.

Robert

Sep 24, 2013 3:27 AM in response to r.a.parks

Hello, we observe exactly the same issue on all our iOS7 devices (iPhone/iPad).

In addition the flickering often ends with a complete crash of the email client.

A big problem for us - S/MIME signing and encryption is the only option for us to use iOS devices in a professional environment. The lack of this feature won't allow us to continue using Apple devices in our professional environment.

Apple support team - please provide a fix for this issue asap. Thank you.

Oct 1, 2013 4:19 PM in response to Strekat600

While I sincerely appreciate the desire to help, 3rd-party apps are not the culprit here. The issue uniformly affects every iOS 7 + S/MIME user that I've come in contact with. I wiped an iPad and set it up as a new device, to no avail. And the blog post that I alluded to earlier has been pulling in traffic from all over the world, including from the networks of government agencies and large corporations.

iOS 7 has bug in handling attachments on S/MIME Encrypted Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.