Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Phone - Photos lost after iCloud backup

Upgraded my phone from a 4 to a new 5c. My photos were backed up to iCloud, but only the last 30 days of photos were restored to my new phone. Can anyone tell me how to recover the rest of them? A step by step would be so helpful!

iPhone 5c, iOS 7

Posted on Sep 23, 2013 8:22 AM

5 replies

Sep 22, 2017 2:16 PM in response to pvonk

I am having the exact same problem although I was not upgrading phones or any other device. The photos just disappeared all of a sudden and I just don't understand what's going on. All photos except for the last 30 days or so were lost. They don't appear on my Mac, iPad or iPhone.

I hooked my iPhone up to the computer and synced them via iTunes. That way I recovered 1400 photos but I'm still missing the last 2,5 years worth of photos.

If your iPhone automatically uploads all photos to iCloud and other devices have been able to view them, one would assume that it should be stored in the cloud, right? The big question is, since this is obviously happening to more people, is this a possible server error or something of that nature?

Sep 23, 2013 9:36 AM in response to aliciaco

Your mention of "30 days" makes me suspect that you are talking about photo stream, not a backup. Photo stream keeps photos for up to 30 day and then are deleted. Don't use Photo stream as a storage service, it's only for syncing photos from one device to others.

Always sync photos to a computer to archive them. If photo stream is used to do this, be sure to move the incoming stream photos to a permanent album on the computer.

Sep 23, 2013 10:03 AM in response to pvonk

The 30 day thing is just something I read somewhere, probably pertains to nothing here. I got the new phone at Best Buy, the gal said she sent everything to the cloud from the old phone. Then upon setup of the new one, photos were loading, so she moved on. As it turns out, only 25 of my over 300 photos ended up on my new phone. I just need to know if there's a way to get the rest. The old phone is gone now.

New Phone - Photos lost after iCloud backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.