Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mapping a directory

I need to be ale to map directly to a directory on a networked file server. In OS X the root directory is listed in Finder and then I have to click down to the directory I want. is there a work around for that?

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Sep 23, 2013 8:58 AM

2 replies

Sep 23, 2013 9:15 AM in response to simonncaroline

It's not entirely clear to me what you're asking. Can you give an example of what you experience on your system, and what it is you want?

In general, if you mount a share via the Finder, it's mounted under /Volumes, and appears on the user's Desktop (depending on Finder preferences). However it's also possible to get 'under the hood' and use the standard UNIX mount command to transparently mount a share at any other point on your filesystem.

Without knowing quite what it is you're aiming for/hoping to do, it's hard to advise further.

Sep 23, 2013 10:03 AM in response to Camelot

In previous version of OS X when I mounted a shared network volume the sidebar in Finder and more importantly in other applications like Word and Excel would list the specific directory I had mounted. Now it lists the Volume. For example if I connect to //myserver/shared_folders/my_folder/project_1 and I want to save a new Word document to the directory project_1 the sidebar of the save window in Word lists myserver and if I click on that I have to click on down through the tree to get to project_1. Also, if I don't have write priveledges to //myserver/shared_folders then I can't save in project_1 even when I get there. I have to save to my desktop, open a finder window, connect to the my_folder (where I have proviledges) and then save into project_1.

If I'm reading this apple support article correctly (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4829) this is a function of OS X.

mapping a directory

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.