Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What happens to my phone after I wipe it?

Hi, I am in desperate need of help.

I've been trying to download ios7 onto my phone, and to do so I had to delete all the apps, music, photos, etc., from my phone.

Halfway through downloading ios7, it failed and I went from having 3.9GB of available space, to 3.2GB.

I need ATLEAST 3.7GB of available space, so the update says. Although, I can not get space back because their is nothing left to delete.

I'm thinking my last option now might be to do a full wipe on my phone, but I don't know what that will affect if I do that.

If I wipe my phone and set it back to factory settings, what happens to my sim card? I want to be able to use my phone after I reset it, but I don't know if I'll be able to.

How should I go about in doing this? And can I even use my phone (with service) after a full wipe?

Someone please help me 😟

iPhone 4

Posted on Sep 23, 2013 9:36 AM

1 reply

Sep 25, 2013 3:48 PM in response to candicenicole

Hey candicenicole,

Thanks for the question. I understand you are experiencing issues updating to iOS 7 due to storage limitations. To address your question, see this excerpt from the iPhone User Guide:

Erase All Content and Settings: Your information, and settings are removed. iPhone cannot be used until it’s set up again.

via page 146 of

http://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/1000/MA1565/en_US/iphone_user_guide.pdf

If you did decide to do an Erase All Content and Settings, this should not have any affect on your Sim card, or ability to use the iPhone. It will delete all of your content, including contacts and photos, etc. However, if you have backed up via iCloud or iTunes, you can restore the backup.

I also want to mention that you can complete the iOS 7 update via iTunes on a computer. Doing so, you will not be required to free up the space on your iPhone for the download. So that is definitely an option:

iOS: How to update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4623

Update your device using iTunes

1. Ensure that you're using the latest version of iTunes.

2. Connect your device to your computer using the included USB cable.

3. After iTunes opens, select your device when it appears in iTunes under Devices.

4. Click "Check for Update" in the Summary pane to check for available updates.

User uploaded file

5. If an update is available, iTunes prompts you to download and install the update. Do not disconnect your device until the update has finished.

User uploaded file

Thanks,

Matt M.

What happens to my phone after I wipe it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.