Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Extreme disappearing from network

Hi,

I recently had my router upgraded by my provider. Since then, my airport extreme, which was working perfectly beforehand, keeps disappearing from my network.

I've tried both soft and factory resets. When I go through Airport Utility, the airport extreme is detected, and connects to the network no problem. The printer connected to it can also be found, and connected to the computers on the network. After about an hour or so the airport extreme is greyed out in Airport Utility, with a yellow triangle and exclamation mark beside its name.

When I click on it I get the following message bubble:

Device Not Found

Airport Extreme was previously part of your network. Check that it is still in range of your network and is plugged into a power outlet. Forgetting this device removes it from this network.

When I forget it, the Utility can't detect it again. If I do a reset, it will reappear, and I can go through the connection process, to the same end result.

I was hoping someone here might be able to suggest a way forward! I want to exhaust all Apple options before going to my provider, as they will just say they don't provide support for third party hardware etc!

Thanks for your time!

MacBook Pro 3.06 GHz 4GB DDR, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Sep 23, 2013 10:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2013 1:19 PM

How is the Extreme connected to your router, and is it configured as a bridge?

8 replies

Sep 24, 2013 9:45 PM in response to Mark Hamilton1

Thanks. If your router is not a genuine Apple AirPort Base Station, and your Extreme is connected to your network wirelessly, it's not capable of much more than a connection point for your printer. That means you're not using most of its features and doesn't make much sense from a practical standpoint, but it will work that way if you want it to.

You would derive more benefit from it by connecting it to your router with an Ethernet cable.

To configure your AirPort Extreme in this manner follow these instructions:

AirPort Express: How to join an existing Wi-Fi network in client mode

Although it references only the AirPort Express, the instructions apply to the Extreme as well.

Sep 26, 2013 10:05 AM in response to Mark Hamilton1

Hi,

Thanks again for your help. Those are the instructions I've been following ech time I've connected the Extreme to the network. Considering it was all working just fine before my ISP send me a new router, I suspect the problem is more likely at that end, but I want to exhasut all avenues at this end first to be sure.

Is there anything else that's worth trying here?

Sep 26, 2013 10:46 AM in response to Mark Hamilton1

I advocate never using a router supplied by an ISP whenever possible, for these reasons and more. Whatever they are using for a router, your Extreme is almost certainly a better unit.

Ask your ISP if they can provide instructions for disabling their equipment's router function so that it will act strictly as a modem and not a router. Manufacturers use different terminology for this - it may be called "transparent bridging" or "bridge mode". If they are uncooperative, determine its model number and research their manufacturer's web site for instructions.

Reply with its model number and I may be able to help.

Sep 27, 2013 10:05 AM in response to John Galt

John,

Thanks again for your help. I spent a while on the phone with my ISP today and there was no solution from that end. After all the time that I've wasted trying to sort this, I'm just going to do some rearranging and put the printer in the same room as the router and wire it to the network. I really don't have the time to keep banging my head against it!

I'm sure it's something to do with the new router, as it was all working perfectly beforehand, but I've just run out of ideas.

Thanks again for your help. I really appreciate the time you've taken to try and sort this!

MH

Dec 13, 2016 12:23 PM in response to Mark Hamilton1

I too have this problem. Refurbished latest Airport Extreme direct from Apple. It has worked for years just fine as a WiFi access point. Wired directly to an inside port of my Cisco RV042G which is wired directly to cable modem and serves as NAT gateway. Extreme is configured as bridge and receives an IP address from the Cisco via DHCP. It happily runs and functions with green status LED, but disappears from Apple Airport Utility management. Not visible from MacBook Pro connected via WiFi. Not visible from Mac Mini connected via ethernet.

Power cycle the Extreme results in it being visible and manageable in Airport Utility for a few seconds to a few minutes.

It doesn't matter whether the Extreme has a static IP address or gets it via DHCP. Reminder: my Extreme is in bridge mode.

It doesn't matter whether Airport Utility is configured (in Preferences) to only manage configured Airports or whether is allowed to use Bonjour to detect.

Airport Utility seems to accept version 7.7.7 firmware as most current.

Dec 13, 2016 12:57 PM in response to David Kelly1

When the AirPort Extreme power supply starts to head downhill......usually at about 3-4 years of age.....one of the typical symptoms is a loss of the network connection.

Restarting the AirPort will fix things temporarily.....until the power supply starts to overheat or go through another "blip"....at which time it will lose the network connection again.

As the power supply slides further and further downhill, the loss of connection will occur more and more frequently.

If you have a Mac that is covered by AppleCare....and....the AirPort Extreme is less than 3 years old.....Apple might cover a replacement AirPort Extreme for you. Check with Apple Support on that possibility.

Otherwise, there is really not much that you can do other than open up the AirPort Extreme yourself. The internal fan may be clogged with dust.....limiting the cooling ability of the fan.....which lets the power supply run too hot.....which may be causing the power supply issue. It's a long shot, but if you want to open up the device, this article will provide some tips.......AirPort Extreme A1521 Teardown - iFixit.

Unfortunately, Apple does not provide repair parts, so a new power supply is not available through Apple. If you take a look at the supply though.....and can locate a manufacturer and part number.....you might be able to find a new power supply that way.

Airport Extreme disappearing from network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.