Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Computer and iTunes not detecting iPod Touch 5

I have an iPod Touch 5 running iOS 7. I have a HP Probook 6570b running Windows 8 (yes, everything up to date)

When I connect it, my computer makes the normal noise when you plug anything in. But that's it, nothing else happens. My iPod doesn't show up under Computer, doesn't show up in iTunes, and doesn't charge. I can still charge it with an outlet, but that's it. I tried restarting both devices, and went even reinstalled iTunes, and still it's not being detected.

I noticed about 3 weeks ago it wouldn't notice my iPod, so I unplugged it and plugged it back in. Usually that didn't work, so it required a restart of my computer and then it would see my iPod. Now, it doesn't notice it at all. I've tried different ports, everything. Nothing works. I want to sync some new things on, but I can't. I bought it back in late November, so I still have warrenty if it's needed.

Also, a side note. I've never been able to wifi sync my iPod from my computer. Sometimes it's detected, and sometimes it's not. 99% of the time, it isn't. When I can, the only way is if I press sync on my iPod. When I go on iTunes, it says it can't find it. Yes I've done all the wifi rebooting and all those things. Strange thing is, my iPod Touch 4 on 6.1.2 does it perfectly.

iPod touch, iOS 7, 5th Generation

Posted on Sep 23, 2013 10:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2013 10:25 AM

Have you tried another cable?

Is iTunes 11.1 installed on the computer?

4 replies

Sep 23, 2013 11:33 AM in response to Fire Bird

I suspect cable since your 4G connects fine. It could be a problem with your iPod.

- Inspect the dock connector on the iPod for bent or missing contacts, foreign material, corroded contacts, broken, missing or cracked plastic.

- Reset the iOS device. Nothing will be lost

Reset iOS device: Hold down the On/Off button and the Home button at the same time for at

least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears.

- Make an iClod backup

- Restore from backup. See:

iOS: How to back up

Note if cable problem or some other problem you may not be able to restore. If ony cable problem you should be able to restore from iCloud.

- Restore to factory settings/new iOS device.

Computer and iTunes not detecting iPod Touch 5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.