Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Removing safari history ios7

Hi guys,

Installed the ios7 and it's been awesome so far until I opened safari and typed in the URL bar- all my bookmarks and search history came up... This happened when I am in private mode....

Tried the following; all of which didn't work for me:

- toggled on and off private browsing

- cleared cookies and data

- removed browsing history

- toggled smart search field in settings

- toggled do not track in settings

- toggled block cookies

Am I missing something here? Can't be the only one... Assuming this issue is prevalent in the iPhone as well

Appreciate any help!

iPad, iOS 7

Posted on Sep 23, 2013 10:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2013 7:19 PM

I had the same issue until I remembered I had gone into "Settings", "General", "Restictions" and chose "enable restrictions". (It set up a password -- sort of parental controls -- and prevented the clearing of browser history). Actually a great idea for parents/guardians/employers who retain control/liability for the use of the phone.

Soon as I removed the "restrictions" I was able to clear the browser history within the program as designed.

Hope this helps

27 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 28, 2013 7:19 PM in response to clarencefromsouth perth

I had the same issue until I remembered I had gone into "Settings", "General", "Restictions" and chose "enable restrictions". (It set up a password -- sort of parental controls -- and prevented the clearing of browser history). Actually a great idea for parents/guardians/employers who retain control/liability for the use of the phone.

Soon as I removed the "restrictions" I was able to clear the browser history within the program as designed.

Hope this helps

Sep 30, 2013 6:05 AM in response to Brandon Ironside

Hey,

Thanks for replying.... unfortunately this doesnt help.... as the "auto-search" results are still displayed.

The restrictions were off in the first place.... and the results are still displayed after clearing history.... I even tried to turn on restrictions, clear history, turn it off again and cleared history.... still didnt work...

Devs - pls help!

Eg., after i have visited a Bank of America internet banking website - typing a "b" in the url bar will automatically display the "Bank of America" url as an option in the dropdown box....

Thanks.

Oct 2, 2013 11:17 PM in response to clarencefromsouth perth

you are saving your bookmarks to favorites, go into safari and open your favorites tab. you need to clear the items from your favorites and move them to your bookmarks if you don't want those results showing up everytime you open up your browser. Notice when you save a bookmark it gives you a choice of which folder to select from either bookmarks or favorites!

Oct 3, 2013 1:56 AM in response to Trinityknowsapple

Hi,

Thanks for helping But sadly - this does not work for me.

I am using safari on iPad - not very clear where the favourites is... I only have a favourite bar directly above the webpage window.

Having said that, the search items that are auto-prompted are not my favourites. I am sure of this because I have favourite sites that I have not accessed in years - and these do not turn up on the auto-prompt feature.

It is quite clear that incognito/private browsing does not work in the new iOS 7 rendition of safari.

But i appreciate your help anyways!! 🙂 Cheers!

Oct 3, 2013 2:01 AM in response to Diavonex

hey,

Nope I did not click on private twice - sadly, your fix doesnt help. 😟

How I know is because I opened my history tab and it is empty - hence "Private browsing" does not "save" history but auto-prompts it as a feature.

Imagine if u had private browsing turned on and decided to surf private websites (e.g. aXXX.com) , then when your kid uses the ipad to search for "apples" in the url bar, "aXXX.com" is prompted as a "Top Hit". This is even when the history is empty and private browsing is active.

Cheers anyway!!

Oct 3, 2013 7:22 AM in response to clarencefromsouth perth

Same problem as you! This is extremely annoying. I can't have my nephews use my iPad now because links to gta v wikis and other mature video games are available. I was on the phone with 2 apple support techs who were extremely nice but unable to fix the problem. They think this is just a feature that can not be changed. This feature ***** and (at least for me) ruins all the other features that ios 7.

Removing safari history ios7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.