10 Replies Latest reply: Dec 30, 2013 12:08 AM by Terence Devlin
Jmiah22 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I am having an issue with my iPhone 5 and iPhoto. When I plug my iPhone into my Macbook Pro, iPhoto does not show my iPhone as a connected device so I can sync photos/videos. I have searched high and low for help on this issue and most of the help I find is OLD and they advice isn't applicable or doesn't work.

Someone suggested deleted all photos that were NOT taken by the iPhone. That didn't work. Another article suggested deleting the iPhoto cache and that didn't work. I plugged my iPhone into another Mac and it does not show up there either. It can't be my cable because I can plug it in to my Mac and it is recognized and syncs with iTunes just fine.

I tried creating a new library in iPhoto and that didn't work.

Can anybody help me with this issue? I have not tried resetting my iPhone as new and wanted to hold off on that as a last option.

I have an iPhone 5 (iOS 7), a Macbook Pro (Latest OS and updates, 10.8.5 ) and iPhoto '11 9.4.3

Thanks!

• LarryHN Level 9 Level 9 (61,735 points)

Have you reset your phone?

LN

• Jmiah22 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Not yet, I was kind of hoping there would be a solution without having to reset my phone. I have an old iPhone 4 and it is detected by iPhoto just fine. I guess I might just have to reset the phone and set up as new and see if that works.

• LarryHN Level 9 Level 9 (61,735 points)

Try restarging it and the Mac

LN

• Jmiah22 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Just out of curiosity I brought in my other cable from my car. Everything works now. So the cable I was using must be faulty. The strange part is that it synced just fine with iTunes!

• srbbass Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Jmiah22, thanks for this. I had the exact same problem and symptoms. And it turns out it was my cable too. My Amazon lightning cable would sync iTunes but not iPhoto or Picasa, yet when I tried the original Apple cable, photos started working in both apps. Who would have thought!?

• FBismylife Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Exactly the same symptoms and ultimately same fix. Tried everything - repairing disk, restarting mac and iphone. All the time, iTunes is recognising the phone fine, but not iPhoto.

Got another cable, worked instantly.

• alibusch Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Help!  I had this same problem with my Iphone 4 and just got a new Iphone 5S and it still doesn't recognize it.  Image Capture doesn't recognize my phone or the scanner on my printer.  I spent 2 days on the phone with HP and they did everything they could think of so it has to be my Macbook.  The scan feature works fine on my phone and ipad.  I am thinking these two could be related?

Anyway, I have tried brand new apple cables and still no success.  Any ideas?

Thanks!!!

• Terence Devlin Level 10 Level 10 (129,365 points)

The Image Capture substructure is what governs all of these processes. I assume you've tried restarting. COnsider doing a reinstall of the OS.

• alibusch Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Thanks for your suggestions. After spending hours trying to figure out how to do your suggestion, the command-r did not work.  I tried holding the option button and it appears I do not have a Recovery HD.  So now what?!?  Any ideas?

• Terence Devlin Level 10 Level 10 (129,365 points)

I'd ask on the forum for your version of the OS.