Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 7 renames albums purchased from iTunes Store

So they update finally fixes the album count issue, but replaces it with a new and even more frustrating problem....

After the iOS 7 update, when viewing all my "recently" purchased albums from the iTunes Store on my iOS dveices, the albums do NOT match the names I gave them in iTunes. My iTunes Library has not changed and still looks correct, but everything appears in its defualt "purchased" name (or worse) on my iPad, iPhone, etc. This is very frustrating!

I've said it several times in previous posts, I don't use iTunes Match, I don't wanna see the music I have deleted from my iTunes Library on my iPad or iPhone (hence why the tracks were deleted in the first place - hello!), I don't want my albums broken up and recategorized, and I surely don't want iTunes renaming the music I've worked so hard to name and categorize correctly. This controlling behavior is becoming more and more like a Microsoft product than an Apple one.

Bottom line: If I am physically syncing my iTunes Library with my iOS devices, I want them to match... plain and simple. I'm not insterested in Apple's "opininion" of what my music should be named. I don't use Genius or iTunes Match, so I don't understand the need for them to redfine my library to their liking, which in most cases, is inaccurate anyway.

And for the record, I tried renaming/resyncing titles, removing and resyching, switching off share info with Apple, etc. And all to no avail. My settings, accross all devices indicate do not show my iCloud purchases, do not use iTunes Match, do not share info with Apple... in other words, don't mess with my music!

Some of iTunes' creative examples include: "Unknown Album", "- - Single", and my favorite was chaninging one of my album names to a lower-case "x" - brilliant. Anyone else having this issue? It also doesn't seem to be impacting older purchased tunes. Only recently purchased music/videos.

😠

Posted on Sep 23, 2013 12:02 PM

23 replies

Sep 25, 2013 6:28 AM in response to MacMan1963

MacMan, I was having the same problem too. It drove me nuts and it took me a few days to figure out the logic as to why this may be happening.

If Apple's servers (via iCloud or whatever) were overriding my album data to their database, then I thought that changes to album metadata must be made when there is no connection from my iPhone/iPad/iPod to Apple's servers.

With that in mind, the next time you connect your iPhone/iPad/iPod to your computer:

1. Put the iPhone/iPad/iPod in airplane mode;
  2. From iTunes (or from the iPhone/iPad/iPod) delete the incorrectly named album(s) from the iPhone/iPad/iPod;
  3. Edit your album(s) name in your iTunes library to your liking (if not done already);
  4. Move the song(s) and(or) entire album(s) from your iTunes library back to your iPhone/iPad/iPod.

With the iPhone/iPad/iPod in airplane mode your album changes should now take and hold. When you're done you can shut airplane mode off and your changes will still hold.

Hope this helps!

Sep 25, 2013 9:52 AM in response to CapeCodKid

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, this didn't work.

This is what I know so far and/or what I believe is going on:

1. Apple embeds metadata into all their iTunes Store tracks, videos, movies, etc. Both "seen" information, such as copyright, record label, etc., as well as "unseen" data.
  2. That same metadata overides any changes you make to "iTunes Store purchased" titles when you sync. It does not change your iTunes Library (although at one point, that was an issues as well), but it does change the info on any iOS devices you sync to.
  3. My assumption is, this is their way of keeping track of purchases for iCloud re-downloads and iTunes Match services... whether or not you choose to use them. The smarter way to do that, would be to use the behind-the-scenes metadata for tracking, thereby, allowing the user to make any changes to an album title (such as corrections), songs, etc. and still have a unique identifier, allowing such services to recognize the originally purchased content.

So for instance, the renamed, purchased song "Summer Roads" becomes "Summer Roads - Single" after syncing. And if the system becomes confused, your album could get named something ridiculous, like "x". Don't laugh, this happened to me...

Now, having said that, what frustrates me the most is that I spend a lot of time and effort configuring and managing my music for ease of use. And while I understand Apple's position to a point, I think if a person turns off iTunes Match and doesn't sync their music through the cloud, then using a hard-wired sync should replicate your data exactly the way it is in your iTunes Library. It's really that simple. Or otherwise, why allow me to change the data at all. I feel like true music lovers with larger libraries are being forced into "idiot" mode for the causual listener who can't manage their own music. "I know I bought that, where'd it go?"

Hopefully, a bit of light in the this situation:

I've noticed that (at least so far - fingers crossed), the only songs that appear to have been impacted are the newer tracks that were in my iTunes Library just before the iOS 7 upgrade, but were not yet synched to my devices. So in other words, I made a few purchases while still running iOS6, made a few updates to the titles, etc., then downloaded the upgrade before syncing the changes to my devices.

Painful work-around:

If I make copies of these tracks using "Create AAC version" or using "Garage Band", the corrupted metadata is stripped away and then the info is correctly brought over during the next sync. (Be sure to delete the "old" versions before transferring your music or you'll end up with even more headaches.) A pain in the butt, to be sure, but it works. I'm just hoping this does't happen with all newly puchased content. Because I'm not going through this every time I buy, change, and sync an album.

Bottom line, if I can't continue to manage my purchased content the way I want, I will start buying downloaded tracks from Amazon, Beatport, etc., thereby, bypassing Apple's "tracking" mechanisim.

Sep 26, 2013 10:22 AM in response to CapeCodKid

Yes! You rock man!

😀

I was getting very frustrated trying to figure out a workaround to this sitution, and although I managed to find one, it was not nearly as easy as the fix you just provided. Thank you so much!

Now, I'm just hoping that when I download (and update) future iTunes Store purchases, I don't have to go through this every time. But even so, signing out before syncing is still a lot easier than "tricking out" the system.

Thanks again!

Sep 26, 2013 11:43 AM in response to MacMan1963

Very cool! After researching this further there is no need to put the device in airplane mode. The real trigger is signing out of iTunes on the device.

Didn't know if this was a problem for you, but this fix also works with artist pictures. I did not like the stock images iTunes associated with my artists - I wanted album art instead. After you sign out of your Apple ID, when you move a song/album from your iTunes library to your iPhone, the FIRST album you move over will be associated with that artist.

For example, I have seven AC/DC albums but I want the cover of "Back in Black" to be associated with AC/DC on my iPhone's artist listing. After I've signed out of my Apple ID, I transfer "Back in Black" to my iPhone first and then the other six albums in any order. "Back in Black" will be the album picture associated with AC/DC on the artist page.

After going through all this I am wondering if this a bug, or if this is the way Apple is runnign things now. At least we have a fix to get our music listed the way we want!

Sep 26, 2013 10:03 PM in response to CapeCodKid

Yeah, I kinda figure that part out.

As for the uploaded artist images, I kind of like them. It gives the artist a sort of up-to-date feel. However, not all the choices are good ones, so it's nice to know there's a way to replace some of them. I had similar feelings beforehand, as well, with the album covers randomly chosen for each artist. Not all album covers make a good "header" choice. I always thought it would be cool if Apple allowed you to choose the cover you wanted, much the same way iPhoto lets you chose a 'key photo" to identify Events.

In any event, thanks again for all your help!

Jul 18, 2014 8:29 AM in response to MacMan1963

I've been having exactly this problem over and over and it's been driving me bananas. Before now, I've tried everything I could think of -- well, everything but the steps above -- and yet the problem keeps repeating every so often. Now I've found this solution, and I have followed it to the letter. I even put the devices in airplane mode even though you said I didn't actually need to, because I'm desperate. It looks okay for now, but the real proof will be in the next few weeks, if this problem does or doesn't recur. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed. In the meantime, I thank the two of you for crossing this river ahead of me and leaving me a bridge to follow. Wish me luck!

Jul 18, 2014 1:36 PM in response to NCC-1701

What I’ve discovered is that this issue is related to the iTunes Store and iCloud storage of purchased music via iTunes. Again, I somewhat understand Apple’s position in keeping things named consistently so that they can correctly identify previously purchased music (allowing users to re-download when necessary), as well “advertise” remaining tracks available from an album not yet purchased (i.e. “Show Complete Album”).

However, I think if you choose not to store your music in the cloud, don’t use iTunes Match, and “hide all store purchases” music, Apple should assume you’re not interested in using its iTunes Match or cloud services to help you manage your music library. What would be nice, would be if they would offer users an option that said “Do not allow iTunes Store to modify previously purchased content when synching”.

That said, The only work around I’ve found so far, is to first sign out of my Apple ID on each device before synching it. (Airplane mode settings don’t matter.) Then after synching, sign back in and carry on as usual. The problem with that method is that the very first time you forget to do this, you library is littered with duplicates and renamed metadata. And a good sign that this is happening, is an extremely long sync time. That’s because iTunes is in the process of identifying each and every previously purchased track/album and is renaming them. Again, a simple “ignore” checkbox option, like I stated above would be great.

Recently, making matters even worse, I’ve discovered an additional annoyance that wasn’t present before the last update. Now, in addition to the annoying problems mentioned above, I’ve noticed that when I connect my iPhone to my car, all the “hidden music” not currently being shown on my phone, now shows up on the dashboard touchscreen as album and track options! (Again, even though they’re not showing up on the phone.) So now instead of just seeing the album name, you see 2, 3, 4, or even more “versions” of the same album with only partial tracks included in each one. So in other words: Robbie Williams: Escapology (Trk. 1), Robbie Williams: Escapology (Trk. 2,3,9,10), Robbie Williams: Escapology (Trk. 4,5,6,7,8,11), and finally : Robbie Williams: Escapology (all 11 trks., full album – the one that was properly synchronized). So not only does my library show 5x the number of titles, but if I click on any other version of the album other than the “correctly” synchronized one, the track isn’t found and won’t play! Ugh.

Sigh…

Jul 18, 2014 2:55 PM in response to MacMan1963

Just so I'm clear: are you saying that I need to sign out from my Apple ID *every* *single* *time* I want to sync with iTunes on my desktop?

I was thinking that if I signed out, then connected my iPad and iPhone to my Windows iTunes, then removed all songs from my device, then rearranged the album titles to my liking before putting them all back on the device and signing back in with my Apple ID, that that would resolve the problem completely.

Now, though, I think I hear you saying that whenever I plan to connect my iPad or iPhone to iTunes on my desktop in the future, I need to make sure that that device isn't signed in with my Apple ID, otherwise I'll see this title-rename problem happen again. Is that correct?

Jul 21, 2014 11:14 PM in response to MacMan1963

Well, I'm still looking for my answer. I've had both my iPhone and iPad signed out of my Apple ID continually since the last time I posted, and just now checked and they're both still signed out. Despite this, tonight my album titles and genres all reverted themselves back to the Apple Store's idea of what it thinks the titles and genres ought to be. Expletive, expletive, expletive.

For a while now, I've been slowly migrating to Google by bits and pieces. Apple Maps *****, but Google Maps is great. Google Docs and Gmail are both better than pretty much anything Apple has to offer. Chrome is better than Safari. The only thing keeping me sticking by Apple's side has been the fact that all of my music is wrapped up in iTunes. But now iTunes has all but lost my loyalty too, the way it has been screwing up my music every time I turn around.

I'm not sure what exactly I'm going to do next, but whatever I decide, I guarantee I'm all done making music purchases from the Apple Store. This is only a problem with Apple Store purchases, so if I don't buy anything else from the Apple Store, it can't do this to any of my other music.

Meanwhile, the chances of my next phone being an iPhone are a lot smaller than they were, too. Honestly, Google just keeps getting better while Apple keeps doing nosedives like this. Tell me again why I haven't made the switch already? I'm not sure anymore.

Jul 22, 2014 7:29 AM in response to NCC-1701

I agree. I love Apple, but I have become very disappointed with their products/services lately.

Recent example: I bought a 128GB iPar Air back in December, which worked great until March, after which, it began crashing multiple times per day. After going round and round with the “Geniuses” at the Apple Store, it turned out to be a hardware issue (not software-related, abuse, or a lack of user knowledge), which I told them up front. But the part that really pushed me over the edge was that I had to wait nearly 2 weeks for a replacement unit even though they had brand-new 128GB models in-store! Keep in mind, this was a device that was still under warranty and in brand-new, perfect condition (not a scratch on it). Cleary not the result of misuse or neglect. When the replacement finally did arrive, it was clearly a “refurb” and had all the cosmetic flaws to prove it.

There’s a lot more to the story, but the bottom line is, I purchased a brand-new $800 piece of equipment that was extremely well cared for, and in less than 6 months, required a replacement. To add insult to injury, they refused to replace it with a new one and I hate to wait. I could understand accepting a “refurb” (or repair) IF THE PRODUCT WAS OUT OF WARRANTY OR WAS THROUGH FAULT OF MY OWN. But that was not the case. I will definitely think twice before purchasing another iPad, that’s for sure.

As far as the synching issues go, they continue to plague me as well. In addition to the problems I previously mentioned, I also encounter other ongoing anomalies as well. For example:

1) Often times my iPad Air will sync w/o any problems at all, but not my iPhone 4S. Even though they are connected to the same library and both are running iOS 7.

2) Sometimes a newly imported CD will not sync to my devices and the only way to fix this is to “uncheck” the recently imported tracks, then resync (w/o them marked), and finally, go back and “re-check” the tracks and sync again. Essentially, a total of 3 times in order to pull over new music. *sigh*

That said, the only other solution I can offer regarding the previous topic at hand, would be for you to go in and “uncheck” the problem albums/tracks, then resync… followed by “rechecking” the same album/tracks and syncing again… [MAKING SURE YOU ARE NOT SIGNED INTO ANY OF THE DEVICES YOU ARE CONNECTED TO!] (And be sure to make sure that you are still “signed out” between each step because this burned me as well, when my iPhone would “automatically” sign me back in using my previous login credentials. Now the music is correct on one device, but not the other… Talk about frustrating!

However, usually once you do that, the tracks will pull over correctly and won’t be modified during subsequent synchronization. But, I always sign out now before synching, because if not, it will impact any newly purchased iTunes music. Absolutely ridiculous!!!

Good Luck!

Sep 20, 2014 8:12 PM in response to MacMan1963

I continue to see this problem, and I continue to wonder about what triggers it and what to do about it -- and why Apple insists on doing it do me. Staying signed out of my Apple ID has been an unreliable solution, so I'm dealing with the problem by noticing that whenever I "Get Info" for a track that iTunes has tinkered with, my album names and other settings (genres, composers, etc.) go back to what I had set them to before iTunes chose to meddle. What I'm doing about this problem these days is this: whenever I notice that iTunes has tinkered, I open my Purchased playlist in list view, Get Info on the first song in the list, then hold down the Alt-N keys (which activates the "Next" button) to race through the whole list from top to bottom. Doing so puts all of my changes back into place for about a week, until iTunes decides to meddle again.

What I'm noticing -- and I'd love to know if you're seeing this too -- is that iTunes seems to want to meddle like this about once a week, always on a Saturday. (Today is a Saturday, and I just noticed it yet again this evening.) I'm not 100% sure of myself about this, but I'm pretty sure that it does seem to happen regularly every Saturday, and when I "Get Info" for all of my purchased songs, it seems to stay fixed until the following Saturday, when I have to go through all of this all over again.

It really is the weirdest ****** thing. I wish I had even the faintest clue why Apple thinks this is a desirable state of affairs. But at least I have a way to put it back the way I like it, even though that means putting up with the annoyance of Get-Info'ing all of my purchased tracks once a week. It's a small enough price to pay, annoying though it is, at least given that Apple can't be relied upon to do the right thing in the first place.

iOS 7 renames albums purchased from iTunes Store

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.