Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Double Exposure RAW Files Poorly Processed

I have an Olympus OMD-EM5. I'm shooting double exposures and when I import the RAW files into Aperture, once the Aperture preview is generated the picture becomes horribly over processed. Saturation seems maxed out on things like leaves, but also colors shift: a pale blue flower turns deep purple. I tried shooting RAW + JPEGs and the JPEGs of course look fine in Aperture as they do in camera and are not reprocessed in any apparent way. So the glitch seems to be in processing RAW double exposures.

Is anyone else working with double exposures seeing the same problem with their RAW files? Any ideas and what is happening?

Thanks

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6), 15" MBP; OSX 10.6; 2.66GHz; 4GB memory; 500GB HDD; AEBS & AX

Posted on Sep 23, 2013 12:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2013 12:44 PM

How are you creating a double-exposure RAW file? RAW is, by definition, sensor data for one exposure. (It might be possible -- I'm ignorant of how.) Does Olympus state that double-exposures creating in-camera can be exported in a RAW format? If so, you will likely have to convert them using Olympus' converter. Once converted (to 16-bit TIFF, for example) you would be able to import them into Aperture.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 23, 2013 12:44 PM in response to atnbirdie

How are you creating a double-exposure RAW file? RAW is, by definition, sensor data for one exposure. (It might be possible -- I'm ignorant of how.) Does Olympus state that double-exposures creating in-camera can be exported in a RAW format? If so, you will likely have to convert them using Olympus' converter. Once converted (to 16-bit TIFF, for example) you would be able to import them into Aperture.

Sep 23, 2013 6:32 PM in response to Kirby Krieger

In my camera, all types of double exposures still come out as ORF RAW files. Turns out Olympus Viewer can process the images correctly. I imported to Viewer and the ORF files looked fine. I exported as 16 bit TIFF and imported to Aperture. Still looked fine. Imported the same ORF directly to Aperture and got an overprocessed image.

So with my camera, if I want to play with RAW images, I'll have to run them through the Oly Viewer softward to get a TIFF I can play with in Aperture. JPGs direct to Aperture is of course my other optioin.

Thanks for input from all.

Double Exposure RAW Files Poorly Processed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.