Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Downloading Mac OS X installer file from another Mac?

Hello.

Is it OK/safe to download the latest Mac OS X installer file on another Mac, with an older Mac OS X version, through its App Store? Or does it have to be on the same machine? The reason is because work's Mac Mini (Mac OS X 10.7.5) has faster Internet connection (at work), but not allowed to use home's MacBook Pro on the network. I was hoping to download the installer with my Apple account and copy the huge 4+ GB file onto an USB drive. I hope this doesn't confuse and mess up the account and machines.

Thank you in advance. 🙂

Posted on Sep 23, 2013 1:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2013 2:26 PM

You should be fine doing that. When the download completes the installer will automatically open, so just quit the app and then you will find it in the Apps folder to copy to a storage device or another Mac.

8 replies

Sep 24, 2013 1:28 PM in response to Dah•veed

Hmm. I am having problems downloading this Mac OS X Mt. Lion v10.8.5 installer file.

If I log into App Store first, and then try to download... I get "You have updates available for other accounts -- Sign in to ...@mac.com to update applications for that account." I do not have access this .mac e-mail account since this is my employer/office's Mac Mini.

If I am logged out of App Store, try to download it, and then log in… I get "Unknown Error." and then "We could not complete your request. There was an error in the App Store. Please try again later. (4)"

I tried searching for solutions, but none of them seem to work. 😟

Any ideas? Thank you in advance. 🙂

Downloading Mac OS X installer file from another Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.