Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why wont my phone let me turn off find my phone?

I need to do a iphone restore and it wont let me turn off "find my phone" Why not? I am not tech savy and this is about to tip me over the edge!

iPhone 4, iOS 7

Posted on Sep 23, 2013 2:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2013 7:38 PM

bearww, We just figured out how to fix this. Go to "Settings", then "General", scroll all the way to the bottom to "Reset" then select "Reset all Settings" it will ask for your 4 number pass code twice after that choose "Reset All Settings" When the process is all done you should be able to shut off Find my iPhone, delete your iCloud account and restore your phone. We ended up not having to restore our phone because we were able to fix our issues after this. You will have to go back and reset all your settings after this but all of our information and apps were still on the phone. I hope this helps you.

20 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 28, 2013 7:38 PM in response to bearww

bearww, We just figured out how to fix this. Go to "Settings", then "General", scroll all the way to the bottom to "Reset" then select "Reset all Settings" it will ask for your 4 number pass code twice after that choose "Reset All Settings" When the process is all done you should be able to shut off Find my iPhone, delete your iCloud account and restore your phone. We ended up not having to restore our phone because we were able to fix our issues after this. You will have to go back and reset all your settings after this but all of our information and apps were still on the phone. I hope this helps you.

Nov 21, 2015 3:43 PM in response to bearww

Hey, i hope this many years later you have already solved your problem, but I had the same problem for hours here, almost threw my phone on the wall just to find out I was the one to blame and the answer was so much more simple. I was not connected to any wifi, that was why apple did not recognized my password. Hope it helps someone in the future

Nov 23, 2015 12:30 PM in response to bearww

I struggled for about an hour and tried everything written in here. It was a simple fix for me. You have to have location services enabled before it will let you turn off Find my iPhone.

Go to Settings >> Privacy >> Location Services and turn them on.

Once you turn them on you can go to Settings >> iCloud >> toggle off Find My iPhone >> enter your password and it will accept your passoword.

Before I did this, when I would enter my password the password box would blink like I hadn't entered the correct password. After I enabled the location services it took my password like it should have.

Oct 12, 2013 4:16 AM in response to goober pea

I'd like to dod this but my ipad cannot be used becasue it says it needs activation (suddenly it did that I'd been using it happily for 12 months then it said it needs activating). So i can get to general seetings. Itunes says switch off find my iphone which i did in icloud but when i then try to restore or activate it says switch off find my iphone. impossible!

Aug 26, 2017 12:22 PM in response to bearww

This still can be an issue with the current iOS. The solution is in the order of things. You can't turn off the "find my iPhone," because you are still logged in to the account. Go to Settings and click on your name. At the bottom of that next screen, click on Sign Out. Now you can go back to General menu and click the Reset button. Pick the option you want. It will now erase, reset or any of the other options.

NOTE: I just had this problem, tried all the suggestions, and finally figured it out.

Sep 28, 2013 6:44 PM in response to ssschmidt

ssschmidt, the issue isn't we can't figure out how to shut it off, it is it WONT shut off. I have the same problem. I even delete it but it still show's in iCloud. Can't restore the phone or delete iCloud account because find my iPhone wont turn off or delete no matter what we do. I drove 2 hours to an apple store and was told to just restore the phone. Got home only to find out that you can't restore the **** phone without find my iPhone being turned off which is what is the problem in the first place. Anyone figured out how to resolve this yet?

why wont my phone let me turn off find my phone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.