Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Degraded print in pdf files

When I save an article from the internet as a pdf file, the print on my saved file is degraded. The letters do not look solid. This makes the text difficult to read. This does not happen with files that I scan into a pdf file. The print looks the same (degraded) when the files are opened in Preview. I just wasted well over an hour online with Adobe tech support. The technician tried to convince me that the problem is the resolution on my computer but I'm using the native resolution and only the pdf files look strange.

Has this happened to anyone else and do you know how to fix it?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Sep 23, 2013 5:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2013 5:33 PM

If you have acrobat Pro full version you can set the DPI for saved documents.

Also set resolution for 200% for optimized text clarity

search PDF help.

3 replies

Sep 23, 2013 7:09 PM in response to lynnej46

This seems to have solved it. Many thanks. After opening Preferences in Acrobat, I went to Page Display and changed the Custom resolution to 200 (it was at 110) as you suggested adn then changed Rendering from None to For Monitor. I couldn't find a setting specifically for saved documents.

By searching the internet, I finally found the online Help file for Acrobat Pro XI Preferences and was able to get other useful information. Adobe does not make it easy to get help.

It's hard to believe that the Adobe tech couldn't figure out that I just needed to increase the resolution of the pdf documents rather than insisting that I had to change the resolution of the Mac. He even went back to his "Concern Team" twice. Then he escalated the problem and will have a higher level of tech support call me back.

Well, PlotinusVeritas, I surely do thank you.

Degraded print in pdf files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.