Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how can i record the audio of an iPad instrument into my DAW?

I merely want to do audio recording of some of the iPad instruments into my DAW (Ableton Live 9). I'm using a Focusrite 18i8 interface, and I want to know if my onliest option here is coming out of the headphone jack of the iPad into the interface. I can't believe nobody has a device to do this, but i cannot find it anywhere i've looked (yet).

NOTE: this is NOT a question about midi.

iPad 2

Posted on Sep 23, 2013 8:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2013 8:38 PM

I found this http://www.markertek.com/Audio-Equipment/iPod-Accessories/Sescom/SES-IPOD2-AUDIO .xhtml?utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=googlebase&cvsfa=3786&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu =5345532d49504f44322d415544494f&gclid=COrLzumM47kCFcmf4AodCCMA6A

most of the stuff is geared towards going into the ipad. but that's not what you wanted to do right?

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 1, 2013 3:02 PM in response to brad1005

. . . their 'converters?' I already have an excellent (and not cheap) sound card (interface). Or are you suggesting Apogee's "breakout cable?" I've written Apogee asking if just using their breakout cable would work without their interface and if so, where it might be purchased. I'd hate to think I have to spend $650 (Duet) just to get audio out of my iPad. Even so, those outputs are for headphones and monitoring.

Though I haven't purchased it yet, the cable smokemonster suggested would appear to work for recording iPad audio into my DAW through the Focusrite 18i8. It's limitation, as far as I can tell, would be that it is a very short cable and not suitable for performance situations, and also it appears to be stereo with no mono option.

Oct 2, 2013 8:10 PM in response to skottez

I'm sure they make something that could combine the two audio streams to make it one output. Or you could just use one cord if what you are doing from the iPad is truly mono. Depending on the app you could force all sound to go through one channel which would then be mono.

These are just ideas/ suggestions, I don't know your setup. As for the cable being short I'm sure there are combinations of female to male connections that could extend the reach.

Have fun! Glad I could help .

how can i record the audio of an iPad instrument into my DAW?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.