Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I shuffle songs in a genre in the new iTunes on an iPhone or iPad?

Posted on Sep 24, 2013 12:01 AM

8 replies

Sep 25, 2013 3:20 PM in response to Barlowphoto

I was at the Apple store today and one of their "geniuses" confirmed it is not possible to shuffle songs in one specific genre. He had not noticed this himself, and after trying to do it on my iPod, he tried it on his iPhone, and that did not work either. He told me the best he could do was tell his boss. This of course, does not help much, but we can always hope they fix the issue sometime soon.

Jul 2, 2015 6:34 AM in response to imxanderking

This is ridiculous!! I've been able to shuffle my Genre's for years and then all of a sudden now I can't!! What made Apple great was that Steve Jobs insisted on simplicity and beauty... not fluff! The iOS is becoming more and more like Android - complex and buggy. I consider myself pretty tech savvy and I have no idea what this new Music program is about. First it was taking all my photos and converting them to pixilated versions now it's this..

Simple things like Genre shuffling should be common sense. I'm extremely disappointed at this point.

Jul 2, 2015 10:39 AM in response to slmpd6454

slmpd6454 wrote:

This is ridiculous!! I've been able to shuffle my Genre's for years and then all of a sudden now I can't!! What made Apple great was that Steve Jobs insisted on simplicity and beauty... not fluff! The iOS is becoming more and more like Android - complex and buggy. I consider myself pretty tech savvy and I have no idea what this new Music program is about. First it was taking all my photos and converting them to pixilated versions now it's this..

Simple things like Genre shuffling should be common sense. I'm extremely disappointed at this point.

There is a way to shuffle in Genre.

1. In My Music use the drop down and select Genre
  2. Find the genre you want and click the icon to the left of the Genre title
  3. A song should start playing and a "Now Playing" bar will show up toward the bottom of the screen
  4. Place your finger in that "Now Playing" area and swipe up
  5. Click the Shuffle icon at the bottom of the screen
  6. You should now be shuffling within the selected genre

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.