Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screenshot Error in Mac OS X 10.8, Short key working but no file generated

Today I'm going to use the mac screenshot (screen capture from COMMAND+CONTROL+SHIFT+4) to capture the window while the problem comes. The short key is working and the icon of pointer has changed accordingly, but once I clicked there is no file generated in the destination folder. I would like to know what's wrong with my screenshot? Is there anyone who encountered the similar errors before?

I'm using Mac OS X 10.8.5 and I believe the screenshot is still avalaible after the update from the 10.7.x. I guess the problem is more about the screenshot applet rather than the system. Besides, I'm eager to know that is there any method to solve this problem.

Thank you.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Sep 24, 2013 12:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 22, 2014 7:20 PM

I am running a Retina Macbook Pro with Mavericks 10.9.3 installed. I was having this problem today, but I did a few things that got rid of the issue...

1) Go to System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts > Screen Shots, and click each of these 4 boxes...

User uploaded file

Then close the window.

2) Open the application "Terminal."

Type in killall Finder > Push enter

Type in killall Dock > Push enter

Close the program

3) Turn off the computer. Now turn it on, but hold down "CMD + OPTION + P + R" on the keyboard as it boots up. This will restart your computer. Let the keys go after the restart, and let it boot all the way. Pressing these keys clears your PRAM and NVRAM settings--it doesn't harm your computer at all, but it is supposed to help give your battery a boost. Apparently, it also resolved my screen shot issues.

I blame my screen shot issues on a program I tried installing today--it must have messed with the OS somehow. Hope all of this helps!

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 22, 2014 7:20 PM in response to hootenku

I am running a Retina Macbook Pro with Mavericks 10.9.3 installed. I was having this problem today, but I did a few things that got rid of the issue...

1) Go to System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts > Screen Shots, and click each of these 4 boxes...

User uploaded file

Then close the window.

2) Open the application "Terminal."

Type in killall Finder > Push enter

Type in killall Dock > Push enter

Close the program

3) Turn off the computer. Now turn it on, but hold down "CMD + OPTION + P + R" on the keyboard as it boots up. This will restart your computer. Let the keys go after the restart, and let it boot all the way. Pressing these keys clears your PRAM and NVRAM settings--it doesn't harm your computer at all, but it is supposed to help give your battery a boost. Apparently, it also resolved my screen shot issues.

I blame my screen shot issues on a program I tried installing today--it must have messed with the OS somehow. Hope all of this helps!

Screenshot Error in Mac OS X 10.8, Short key working but no file generated

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.