Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Quickest way to download my Mobileme email account

Another year, and another scare-mongering email from  threatening to delete anything over 5GB of emails (or are they going to say b/c we are so kind we will give yo another years complimentary 20-25GB FREE??) on my iCloud/Mobileme account saying:

As a thank you for being a former MobileMe member, you received a 20 GB complimentary storage upgrade when you moved to iCloud. Your upgrade expires on September 30, 2013.
When it expires, your iCloud storage will be automatically adjusted to the free 5 GB plan. Note that you are currently using 11.72 GB of storage. If you exceed your storage plan on September 30, 2013, iCloud Backup, Documents in the Cloud, and iCloud Mail will temporarily stop working.
To continue using these iCloud features without interruption, reduce the amount of iCloud storage you are using or purchase a storage plan by September 30, 2013.

I use only email. So whats the easiest method to download ALL my emails onto my Mac?

Do I use Mail application, select all and drag to a folder? Or is there something better I have missed?

-- Any ideas, advice appreciated User uploaded file

Posted on Sep 24, 2013 1:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2013 2:18 AM

The extra storage you have as a result of having been a MobileMe subscriber will be removed on 30 September unless you decide to pay to keep it ($40 p.a.).

If you decide not to keep it you can download some or all of your messages to your Mac, removing them from the iCloud server.

Create a new Mailbox in Mail on your Mac, making sure that it is listed under 'On My Mac'. Go to your iCloud mailbox, click on the top message of the ones you decide to download and the shift click on the bottom message to select them all. Drag them to the mailbox you just created. It will take some time to download them. If you have a lot of messages I shouldn't try to do them all at once or you may hang the process - I should do 100 or so at a time.

If you wish to pay to continue your current storage level, the instructions are here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5527

Scroll down to 'How do I purchase my current plan?' and expand the section applicable to your computer or device.

22 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 24, 2013 2:18 AM in response to sparkie_7

The extra storage you have as a result of having been a MobileMe subscriber will be removed on 30 September unless you decide to pay to keep it ($40 p.a.).

If you decide not to keep it you can download some or all of your messages to your Mac, removing them from the iCloud server.

Create a new Mailbox in Mail on your Mac, making sure that it is listed under 'On My Mac'. Go to your iCloud mailbox, click on the top message of the ones you decide to download and the shift click on the bottom message to select them all. Drag them to the mailbox you just created. It will take some time to download them. If you have a lot of messages I shouldn't try to do them all at once or you may hang the process - I should do 100 or so at a time.

If you wish to pay to continue your current storage level, the instructions are here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5527

Scroll down to 'How do I purchase my current plan?' and expand the section applicable to your computer or device.

Sep 24, 2013 10:51 PM in response to sparkie_7

All you emails are kept in (user)/Library/Mail but you should never tamper with that - deal with everything in the Mail application. You will find your downloaded emails in the mailbox you've downloaded them to. You can archive the mailbox if you wish (select it and click the cogwheel icon at the bottom) but it has to be in Mail for you to actually access them.

Sep 25, 2013 4:24 AM in response to sparkie_7

Not really. However you should be careful about the number of messages in any one mailbox. I wouldn't go over a thousand or so - it can cause problems (though I'm not exactly sure at what point this is likely to start) - it's better to split them into different mailboxes. This is where it starts to be advantageous to archive them if you don't want a lot of mailboxes in the list in Mail. The number or mailboxes isn't a problem, it's how many messages are in them. Splitting them up by year would seem one good method.

Sep 29, 2013 8:17 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

In the upper left corner of Mail app, my Inbox says 31242 (so i guess I have over 30,000 emails in my INBOX!).

I created a New mail box folder "on my Mac" called 'email backup 2006', then dragged all my emails for year 2006 from icloud emails to this folder on my mac, which was about 2,200 emails. After this happened I noticed that the count on my iCloud Inbox only dropped to 30826. Which is only 416?? But when I view in my Inbox on iCloud all my emails from 2006 are no longer there, which I thought would stay there as I was duplicating to On my Mac folder, but anyway this means I don't need to delete them from iCloud Inbox, but the transfer counts don't seem right, -- any ideas?

Quickest way to download my Mobileme email account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.