Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5s dock disables volume controls on the phone?

I've just bought the new iPhone 5S dock from Apple to use at my desk at work. I spend a lot of time listening to music and the radio when I'm a work and have just hooked my headphones up to the dock's line out port on the back. The problem is that being in the dock seems to lock the music players volume controls, either by way of the buttons on the side of the phone, or the slider on the screen.

I guess this might be because they assume you'r going to use it to plug it into other speakers or a sound system with its own volume controls?

The problem is, that now the headphone connector is on the bottom of the phone (compared to my 4S), I cant connect the headphones directly when its in the dock.

Any ideas if there's a way around this so i can use headphones with the dock and change the volume on the phone?

iPhone 5s, iOS 7, Official iPhone 5s dock

Posted on Sep 24, 2013 1:41 AM

6 replies

Feb 17, 2014 2:29 AM in response to Mojoest

Hi all,

Same problem for me using the apple iphone 5s dock, pluging the original iphone headphone in the line out at the back: not able to control volume.

>> I guess this might be because they assume you'r going to use it to plug it into other speakers or a sound system with its own volume controls?

I assumed the same but can someone from Apple answer if this expected behavior?

Dear apple representatives,

Could this be solved by a software upgrade (at least we should be able to control the volume from the iphone itself). Can a ticket be entered in your internal software database so that someone looks into fixing this?

It is sad that we buy apple products (dock and apple earplug with control buttons) thinking that they will be fully compatible and that we encounter such issue.

iPhone 5s dock disables volume controls on the phone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.