Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

List all files in a folder

This is probably pretty simple but I cant seem to get my head round it. I am trying to use applescript to get a list of all the files in a folder. Can anyone help me here

thanks

Don

Xserve, Powerbook g4, g5, Mac OS X (10.4.6)

Posted on Jun 26, 2006 4:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 26, 2006 4:40 AM

If you want a list of plain-text 1 filenames use…
list folder (choose folder)
or
list folder some_alias

If you want a list of Finder references…
tell app "Finder" to get items of (choose folder)
or
tell app "Finder" to get items of some_alias

<hr> 1You could then format these into a plain-text list, if that's what you're after. But remember that the Finder already supports this by copying a selection of files and pasting them to, say, a TextEdit document. Dragging and dropping a selection on a TextEdit document will include the full POSIX-style path for each file.
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 26, 2006 4:40 AM in response to Donald Collier1

If you want a list of plain-text 1 filenames use…
list folder (choose folder)
or
list folder some_alias

If you want a list of Finder references…
tell app "Finder" to get items of (choose folder)
or
tell app "Finder" to get items of some_alias

<hr> 1You could then format these into a plain-text list, if that's what you're after. But remember that the Finder already supports this by copying a selection of files and pasting them to, say, a TextEdit document. Dragging and dropping a selection on a TextEdit document will include the full POSIX-style path for each file.

List all files in a folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.