Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Web Inspector in Xcode 5.0 broken

Just updated to Xcode 5.0 on 10.8.5 & Safari 6.0.5 and the Web Inspector in Safari appears to be broken.

The code inspector does not show any content of any divs - expanding the triangle shows nothing. I have checked this on many sites, including apple.com, and they all show the same behaviour. Some sites show a few levels of nested items, but never their contents.

This is both in the iPhone Simulator and my iPhone 4, both running iOS7.

Cheers

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion, iPhone 4 & iPad 1

Posted on Sep 24, 2013 4:14 AM

11 replies

Sep 27, 2013 11:34 AM in response to ricnunes

I had this for a short time in the simulator just now:

• iOS7
  • both with mobile Safari
  • and with PhoneGap 3 (embedded WebView)
  • Xcode5 release
  • OSX 10.8.5 MBP, 2G+ free RAM

The only change I made was restarting Xcode, then it suddenly worked.

Restarting OSX Safari did not fix it. I was dead in the water because in the Resources inspector not only would the divs not expand but none of the accordions on the right would expanded either (completely different controls!?) making Web Inspector unusable.

Clue? I had removed Xcode DP5 an hour earlier, using:

• sudo xcode-select --switch /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer
  • moved Xcode DP5 from Applications to Trash
  • no reboot (of course)

If it happens again I'll post relevant console log.

Sep 27, 2013 12:10 PM in response to Touchlytic

Can recreate:

• Start inspector session (no need to restart Safari)
  • Select [Resources ^1] on the left toolbar and [Style] on the right toolbar
  • Everything Broken
  • If you leave the inspector on [Style] it will immediately break every new session

Temporary fix for all but Styles:

• leave the right inspector on anything other than [Style] (i.e. Resource, Node or Appearance)
  • close inspector
  • restart inspector session
  • you now can navigate the DOM and use other inspectors

Nothing occurs in console logs.

Nov 8, 2013 11:02 AM in response to obacher

XCode 5.0, iOS 7 on Simulator and Safari 7.0 on Mavericks are still broken trying to use developer tools against an my app using UIWebView. I can see the application in the Web Inspector and attach. If I try to view source code of any scripts it just shows a spinning icon and doesn't load anything.

DOM inspector plain doesn't work. You can inspect elements in Mobile Safari, but you can't inspect elements loading into UIWebView inside an application.

Web Inspector in Xcode 5.0 broken

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.