Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mouse jumps when 2nd connected monitor is off. mac mini 2012, 10.8.5

I mentioned this on another thread but will post one on my own.

My mouse skips occasionally (like every 5 secs) on my 2012 mac mini with 2 displays connected. One via HDMI the other using the thunderbolt port with a minidisplay to dvi adaptor.

If the 2nd monitor is off i get the jumps. If i turn it on mouse works ok. I swapped around the connections i.e. connect primary monitor on thunderbold and 2nd on hdmi and still same issue. When both are on mouse is ok.

Also tried with just one monitor connected and mouse works ok.

Its a bug and please apple fix it.

I use a microsoft wired mouse whuch i have for many years and has never caused me any trouble on either my win laptop or my previous imac..I tried another wired microsoft mouse and also a wireless logictech mouse. Same problem.

I also tried with mouse connected directly on the mac and on a usb hub which i normally use.

thats on 10.8.5

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Sep 24, 2013 5:46 AM

7 replies

Sep 24, 2013 1:16 PM in response to BDAqua

Hi,

Monitors are set to extended.

Right now i have 2nd monitor off and in Display pref one display is shown. How can i see if it "thinks" its 2 monitors?

However i must add that just a couple of hours ago i tried a 4rth mouse (a wireless one i bought recently for 10e but didnt use cos didnt feel comfortable with) and it works fine even with 2nd monitor off. All other three mice i had the problem with where all pretty old if that helps anyone figuring out whats going on..

thanks

Sep 24, 2013 5:00 PM in response to ans286

Right now i have 2nd monitor off and in Display pref one display is shown. How can i see if it "thinks" its 2 monitors?

That would be how, so I guess it isn't seeing it.

Now it sounds like interference somewhere, do you have any USB3 devices connected?

Can you test the wired one with Bluetooth shut off?

Sep 24, 2013 6:15 PM in response to BDAqua

well both wired mice (the one jumping and the one not) are not bluetooth. In fact i have bluetooth turned off on the mini.

I do have an external usb3 HD connected but only occasionaly and the problem has been happening regardless of the HD connected.

The mini sits right next to a loudspeaker (i do audio work) but that is supposed to be magnetically shielded.

And in any case all these electrical devices should conform to electrical inetrference standards..

Plus it also happens with the wired mice...

There is a usb2 audio interface connected plus a usb2 hub and a FW800 HD as well if that helps.

Will test tomorrow with all these disconnected and just the mouse and display monitor. (its 4am now here in greece)

Sep 27, 2013 3:28 PM in response to BDAqua

Ok , tested with everything disconnected apart from the 2 displays plus a mouse directly on the mini. Same situation.

The old wired microsoft mice and the old wireless logitech mouse all jump when 2nd display is turned off. They dont when both displays are on. The newer wireless mouse behaves normally with the 2nd display off.

The mouse that works ok is this one:

http://www.plaisio.gr/ypologistes-anavathmisi/periferiaka/pontikia-mouse/Turbo-X -Egg-300-Wireless-Optical-Mouse-Black-Orange-IONE-BLACK-ORANGE.htm

(cant find it in english and sorry i cant figure how to insert link - a black box appears when right click>insert link..)

Mouse jumps when 2nd connected monitor is off. mac mini 2012, 10.8.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.