Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mouse cursor flicker (over links)

When moving over links, the mouse cursor very quickly flickers when changing from the arrow to hand pointer.

I've uploaded a slow-mo clip http://youtu.be/ZNQ0D84DdF4 which best demonstrates exactly what's happening. I had to film using a camera as the screen recorder was not quick enough capture the flicker.

This happens in all browsers and even the App Store app.

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Sep 24, 2013 6:50 AM

12 replies

Dec 6, 2013 5:53 AM in response to jamiedavidreid

Hopefully the replacement works OK for you – but I'm not convinced it's a hardware issue.

It happens on both of my Macs, and only when the cursor is changed to the "hand" within a webpage (or webview). All other cursor changes in apps are fine.

A created a small test page http://sketchpad.co.uk/temp/mac-osx-cursor-issue.html The "fixed" part is actually using a custom image for the hand cursor (via CSS styling) and doesn't flicker.

Would be intersting to hear if that works the same on yours.

Dec 14, 2013 6:32 AM in response to jamiedavidreid

I received the replacement iMac today and as expected the issue was still there. My mac was customised a little from the default, the only hardware changes being

• 3.1GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz
  • 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2X8GB
  • 256GB Flash Storage

Perhaps it is a common issue, but goes unnoticed as it is quite subtle. Or maybe future OS updates will fix it. Either way loks like were stuck with the problem.

I have tried replacing the default hand cursor image in the OS, but that didnt wrk either.

Dec 15, 2013 4:08 AM in response to jamiedavidreid

Another update, I have a software fix - by editing the info.plist file for the pointinghand cursor to alter the x/y positions.

System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HI Services.framework/Versions/A/Resources/cursors/pointinghand/info.plist

I made changes to hoty, hoty-scaled, hotx and hotx-scaled and after some trial and error managed to get rid of the flicker and still have the hand cursor appear in the correct place on rollover/out

values i used are :

• hoty 6
  • hoty-scaled 10
  • hotx 8
  • hotx-scaled 12

I used xcode to edit the plist file, then a restart for the changes to take effect.

User uploaded file

Dec 27, 2013 6:21 AM in response to dansketchpad

One other thing to add, after a visit to the apple store I checked out the display model 21.5" iMacs and it probably comes as no surpirse that the bug is also present on all of them too. I didnt get time to test the larger iMac or laptops but will on my next visit.

I figure its subtle enough that the majority just dont notice theres anything wrong, and it is a difficult one to explain and report.

Mouse cursor flicker (over links)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.