Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5 dies at 30% since iOS 7

Haven't seen any other threads about this concerning iOS 7, but both mine and my girlfriend's iPhone 5's have died at exactly 30% battery after installing iOS 7. When we plug them in, it says our battery is still exactly 30%. They will not turn on if you try to without plugging it in, as it shows the "connect to wall power" symbol.

Both of our phones were perfectly fine on iOS 6 and later, so I know it's a software bug. Is anyone else having this issue, and is Apple aware of it? And how do I submit a bug report?

Posted on Sep 24, 2013 6:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2013 6:52 AM

I'm glad you "know" it is a software bug, but it has nothing to do with 7.0. My phone has done the same with 6.x and with 5.x. Any iPhone will do the same thing on any version if the battery monitor calibration gets confused.

To fix it you need to recalibrate the battery gauge. When the phone shuts off above 1% charge it for about a minute, just enough to get it to come back on. Then use it until it shuts off again. If it shuts off above 1%, repeat the process until you get to 1% and it shuts off. Usually this takes me 2 or 3 tries.

Once it shuts off and will not restart charge it for 4 hours with the wall charger. This should fix the problem. To prevent it from happening again run the battery all the way down then charge for 4 hours about once a month.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 24, 2013 6:52 AM in response to Striker37

I'm glad you "know" it is a software bug, but it has nothing to do with 7.0. My phone has done the same with 6.x and with 5.x. Any iPhone will do the same thing on any version if the battery monitor calibration gets confused.

To fix it you need to recalibrate the battery gauge. When the phone shuts off above 1% charge it for about a minute, just enough to get it to come back on. Then use it until it shuts off again. If it shuts off above 1%, repeat the process until you get to 1% and it shuts off. Usually this takes me 2 or 3 tries.

Once it shuts off and will not restart charge it for 4 hours with the wall charger. This should fix the problem. To prevent it from happening again run the battery all the way down then charge for 4 hours about once a month.

Sep 24, 2013 6:59 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Thank you very much for your help. The only reason I "knew" it was a software bug was I've never had this problem before. I got an iPhone 4 three years ago, had it for two years on iOS 4 & 5 with no issues whatsoever, then got an iPhone 5 last year and had it til now on iOS 6 with no issues whatsoever. Same goes for my girlfriend. Then we both upgrade to iOS 7 and both have the same problem out of the blue in the same week? You'll forgive me for assuming it was an iOS-related issue.

Anyway, thank you for your help; I will follow your advice and hopefully it works as well as you say.

Sep 24, 2013 7:05 AM in response to Striker37

It's definitely a bug, but not a new one. Which leads me to suspect its a bug in the battery monitor hardware, which is why it survives all updates. Apple's battery help articles (for all products) suggest running the battery all the way down periodically, but they don't say why. I think this is why.

I'm not too hard on them about it, because Lithium chemistry batteries are very difficult to monitor. Their output voltage does not drop measurably until they are almost out of charge. So the battery monitor cannot monitor voltage the way you can for a car battery, but must keep track of the energy in and the energy out to determine when it needs to be charged. The measurement isn't perfect, so eventually it will lose track of what the actual charge is. Recharging from "empty" allows it to reset.

Dec 5, 2013 8:12 AM in response to Striker37

Striker37, I agree with you. I have had every single iPhone released and never had this problem before. My iPhone 5 does this as well since the update and it's driving me nuts. Yesterday it did it at 34% and would turn on a few minutes later with same percentage then shut right back off. Every time I get the 20% notification it shuts off shortly after.

Dec 5, 2013 10:09 AM in response to nfosdick

nfosdick wrote:

Striker37, I agree with you. I have had every single iPhone released and never had this problem before. My iPhone 5 does this as well since the update and it's driving me nuts. Yesterday it did it at 34% and would turn on a few minutes later with same percentage then shut right back off. Every time I get the 20% notification it shuts off shortly after.

I haven't had every iPhone released; only the original, 3GS, 4S and now a 5S. I have had this problem with each of them except the 5S, and I easily fixed it each time it happened. You can read how I fixed it in the 2nd post. I'm sure you can fix it also.

Dec 16, 2013 1:18 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

I've seen a lot of posts about this problem all across these forums and the rest of the Internet. There is a lot of speculation about running battery-draining apps and replacing the battery on your phone. Usually, that's all I'd find for a problem like this.

Your solution addressed the problem exactly, was accurate down to the minute details (i.e. taking 2-3 tries to get it down to 1%), and worked. At least for now. I'll see if the problem comes back again in a few days. Thank you very much, sir.

Apr 16, 2014 1:03 AM in response to Striker37

my iphone dies WAAAAYYYY befor it even gets that low....... i have an iphone 5 that i bought from a friend and it has the 7.1 software on it........ i need help and quickly....... is there any way of getting rid of this problem?? i can see others talkin about letting it die but this is something i have to use everyday and almost all day cuz of business. i can't have it dying on me in the middle of an online conversation whether it b whatsapp and or skype. i need it done right away

Message was edited by: Bahamian Guy

Apr 23, 2014 2:37 PM in response to Striker37

I'm experiencing the same issue on a pre-owned iPhone 5 I just picked up to replace the one that was just stolen from me. I have owned just about every iPhone since initial launch (2G, 3G, 4S and two 5's) and never experienced this issue before. It always seems to shut off between 30-40%, long before ever getting a low battery warning. It just shut off at 37% about 20 minutes ago and I'm not trying what was suggested to recalibrate the battery meter, I let it charge for about 60 seconds and disconnected the charger. I'm down to 32% as I type this so fingers crossed this helps after 2-3 times. Wish me luck!

Apr 23, 2014 3:17 PM in response to Mattysxe

Very belated update. I went through the whole process of charging the battery down until it dies, then plugging it back in to give it a little more juice, then repeating until it got down to 0% before charging it all the way for four hours.

I tried that about 2-3 times. It actually made my battery worse. It never made it past 40% after I did that.

Ultimately, I just bit the bullet, took it to Genius Bar, and bought a new battery for $75 or whatever it was. Haven't had any problems since then.

iPhone 5 dies at 30% since iOS 7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.