Skip navigation

10.8.5 email compatibility problems

749 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Sep 25, 2013 8:39 AM by NN2RL RSS
NN2RL Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Sep 24, 2013 7:11 AM

Since updating to 10.8.5 I am having problems using Mac Mail. First of all, iCloud drafts are created but do not automtically disappear after being sent; they must be deleted at least once, often several times for them to go away.

More importantly, emails created using Custom Stationary are being received on Windows machines as all broken apart, missing or moved pictures and attachments, and so disoriented that my people are complaining about having to put the puzzle pieces of my email back to gether again.  When they forward the email back to me it looks normal.  On a windows machine, they are all chopped up. 

Is there any help for these problems?

Thanks in advance!

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion, 21.5 Inch, Mid 2011
  • BobTheFisherman Level 6 Level 6 (10,570 points)
    Sep 24, 2013 7:34 AM (in response to NN2RL)

How an email is displayed is up to the recipient. If a recipient's email client is not configured to display custom stationary, fonts, images, etc. then there is nothing you can do to force their email client to display the format you want them to use.  Stop using custom stationary.

If format and layout are important to you then send your email as a pdf attachment.

• Linc Davis Level 10 Level 10 (107,745 points)
    Sep 24, 2013 6:07 PM (in response to NN2RL)

Quit Mail. Force quit if necessary.

Back up all data. That means you know you can restore the Mail database, no matter what happens.

Triple-click the line below on this page to select it:

~/Library/Mail/V2/MailData/Envelope Index

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard (command-C). In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder

from the menu bar. Paste into the box that opens (command-V), then press return.

A Finder window will open with a file selected. Move the selected file to the Desktop, leaving the window open. Other files in the folder may have names that begin with "Envelope Index". Move those files, if any, to the Trash.

Log out and log back in. Relaunch Mail. It should prompt you to re-import your messages. You may get a warning that the index is damaged and that Mail has to quit. Click OK.

Test. If Mail now works as expected, you can delete the file you moved to the Desktop. Otherwise, post your results.

Sep 25, 2013 7:51 AM (in response to NN2RL)

Do drafts still fail to be removed automatically?

Sep 25, 2013 8:23 AM (in response to NN2RL)

No. From the Mail menu bar, select

Edit ▹ Attachments ▹ Always Send Windows-Friendly Attachments

Sep 25, 2013 8:38 AM (in response to NN2RL)

The only way you can completely control the way an emailed document will look to the recipient is by sending it as a PDF attachment. That's what I suggest.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.