Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages for Mac won't add my phone number

I've been using Messages on Mountain Lion for months with no problems. I added my phone number to the Messages app in account settings as soon as it was available and the app was functioning perfectly until about when I updated to iOS 7. Now my phone number is no longer included in the "You can be reached for messages at:" section in the account settings in Messages. When I select "add email" and type my phone number it just disappears when I hit return. Even if I don't hit return and just check the box next to it, eventually it just goes away. I have tried adding it every way I can imagine (adding +1, adding "()", etc.), and still nothing. I have also tried signing out of Messages on my Mac and iMessage on my iPhone, then signing back in, and still nothing. I'm at a complete loss here. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Sep 24, 2013 7:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2013 1:32 PM

Hi,

The bit on the phone ?

Does this include removing the Apple ID you are using, turning the Phone Off (Airplane mode or turn Messages itself Off) and the re-adding the Apple ID when restarting Messages on the iPhone ?

If it does are you seeing a pop up on the Mac to say the iPhone is using the iPhone Number and the Apple ID ?

If you don't see it try restarting the Mac version.

User uploaded file
9:32 pm Tuesday; September 24, 2013

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.4)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 24, 2013 1:32 PM in response to chrisnappi

Hi,

The bit on the phone ?

Does this include removing the Apple ID you are using, turning the Phone Off (Airplane mode or turn Messages itself Off) and the re-adding the Apple ID when restarting Messages on the iPhone ?

If it does are you seeing a pop up on the Mac to say the iPhone is using the iPhone Number and the Apple ID ?

If you don't see it try restarting the Mac version.

User uploaded file
9:32 pm Tuesday; September 24, 2013

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.4)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Sep 24, 2013 6:04 PM in response to chrisnappi

Associate your mobile number with your Apple ID, if you haven't already done so.

Sign out of iMessage on the Mac:

Messages Preferences ▹ Accounts ▹ Sign out

and on the iPhone:

Settings Messages Send & Receive Apple ID ▹ Sign out

Then, on the phone, tap

Use Your Apple ID for iMessage

Sign back into iMessage on both devices and test. If there's no change, you may have to wait for a change in network conditions.

Credit for this solution to ASC user SmittyLove and to Glenn Fleishman of tidbits.com.

Sep 24, 2013 6:16 PM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks so much, the error was due to confusion caused by my icloud account. When I upgraded to iOS 7 the phone automatically set my messages to my icloud id instead of my apple id (I had mobileme so they were different). So signing out of messages on my phone made realize the different account info. They are annoyingly similar. Thanks again!

Messages for Mac won't add my phone number

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.