Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should I upgrade my MacBook Pro? And am I upgrading correctly?

Hey, I own a 15-inch, Mid-2010 MacBook Pro. I'm currently thinking about upgrading the RAM (from 4GB to 8GB) and the hard drive (from 320GB to 1TB). The only thing that is holding me back is my battery life. I'm currently at 1103 cycles and the condition is reading 'replace soon.' Now, I was reading up on battery replacement, but wasn't able to determine what I should do about it. Is it worth upgrading my MBP if the battery is getting closer to the end? I don't really know the whole process of replacing the battery.

Also, if I do decide to upgrade, are these the right parts?

RAM: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005LDLVAO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1& smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

HDD: http://www.amazon.com/HGST-Travelstar-2-5-Inch-Internal-0J22423/dp/B00B4QESVQ/re f=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1380031668&sr=1-3&keywords=1+tb+macbook+pro+hard+drive

If they are not, could anyone please help point me in the right direction. Thanks.

Also, when replacing the HDD, I know I have to clone my original hard drive, if I clone it onto a blank 4TB or a blank 1TB external hard drive, will that external hard drive still be usable after I finish the cloning and the installing of the new HDD? I know it will be erased, but after I get the clone on there, I can still use external hard drive again after that right? It doesn't just become consumed with the clone, right?

I'll really appreciate any help you guys can provide, thanks!

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Sep 24, 2013 7:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2013 8:07 AM

Right on your products list

However your better option is a 1tb toshiba for $68 Same as used in current MacBooks. And $20 cheaper than your HGST

Yes the HD will still be usable after you clone it

No. Nothing is consumed. If you didn't like the clone you could format and wipe it

5 replies

Sep 25, 2013 8:21 AM in response to KingPatel

ram is your best upgrade yes

you can never stuff enough storage in any computer. if you have tons of media files you'll still need another external for backup and large media files

Making a clone with CCC or superduper is absurdly simple

Click a few times and sit back for average 40 mins and sip some coffee.

Installing Ram of course is a 2 mins procedure. And the HD , once bottom is open, is a 6 min swap out

peace

Should I upgrade my MacBook Pro? And am I upgrading correctly?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.