Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My 5S gyro/accelerometer is off by about 4 degrees or more. Many having this issue!

I discovered the accelerometer and gyro are off by about 4 degrees on my 5S. I tried the level in the compass app and its off. I also tried other apps that use the accelerometer and gyro to level the phone and they all show the same results. I rebooted/restored the phone etc. My ipad and iPhone 5 are level at 0 degrees. I tried many surfaces that I know are level and are 0 on the iPhone 5 and Ipad 4. Some apps you can calibrate the level but its always off by default and there is no way to calibrate it globally. If the iphone is off more then a couple of degrees when placed on its edges games such as racing, xplane etc will drift. On my device they drifted to the right.

I posted this info on another forum and many people are reporting the same issue even worse. One user went into the Apple store and tested multiple 4S, 5 and they were all level at 0. Tested 3 5S's and they were off by several degrees. I got a replacement from ATT and it is off by -1 to -2 degrees when flat but when I test it with the phone on its side it is 0 which I can live with is this is how most games, skymaps are used.

I'm not sure if Apple didn't calibrate these properly before they left the factory or this has something to do with the M7 chip. Hopefully they can fix it with a software patch but since the phones are behaving differently they would need to come up with a user calibrate option or give the Genius bars some low level software to do it. Although 0 is ideal most agree 1 is with in tolerance and is acceptable but 3-6 which many are seeing is not acceptable and impacts apps using these sensors.

Here is a screen shot comparing my 5 to my 5S.

User uploaded file

iPhone 5s, iOS 7

Posted on Sep 24, 2013 8:11 AM

20 replies

Sep 25, 2013 8:22 AM in response to Dr.FunkToasten

Almost all the 5S have this problem. I went to the store and they all were off about 4 degress. It is possible to calibrate via software but the way the phones are off are all different angles so 1 blanket software update would not work most likely. Most people don't know or care what an accelormeter or gyro is but for people who use this function its an issue.

Sep 25, 2013 6:54 PM in response to WGrose

My iPhone 5s is also off by 4 degrees when using the level on it's back (screen up) I had an iPhone 4 and 4s that I upgraded to iOS 7 and both were perfect, but the 5s is off. Holding it vertically it is also off by 1 or 2 degrees.

There are other level apps that allow you to calibrate or zero the level. Shouldn't be all that difficult for Apple to implement. A work around right now is to put the iPhone on a known level surface and tap the screen once to enter the "match that slope" mode. As long as I don't accidently touch the screen again it works for a while.

Oct 4, 2013 1:06 PM in response to Richard Spangler

I'm experiencing the same problem with my iPhone 5S. Definitely a widespread issue. Demo units in Apple store have same issues as well. I just compared my 5S with 3 other iPhone 5 phones. iPhone 5 phones all are level, 0 degrees on both their back and side on flat surface. My iPhone 5S is off by 4 degrees while on its back and 2 degrees while on its side. I sure hope this can be fixed with a software update very soon. Affects many apps and functions of the phone. My compass is off as well. I especially hope Apple at least release some sort of acknowledgment soon as well so 5S owners know what to expect.

Oct 8, 2013 9:11 AM in response to Richard Spangler

I can confirm that my 5S also has the gyro problem

Horizontal (long side on table) is correct at 0 degrees
Verticle is off by -3 degrees
Tilt is off by -2 degrees

I also find Compass/Leveler app would go out of wack. If I flip the phone a bit and turn it around, it would entirely throw off the readings. The only way to get it back to normal reading is the close the app and "re-calibrate" from the start up screen.

Also, when I use google map navigation in 1st person view, the viewpoint would be tilted in one direction. Also the movement of the status would be jaggy and jump and shakes. This also led me to believe the acceleorameter, etc. is not providing proper value either (as mentioned in the gizmodo article).

My 5S gyro/accelerometer is off by about 4 degrees or more. Many having this issue!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.