Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WiFi disconnects every time Mac goes to sleep.

Hi,

I recently upgraded to Mountain Lion 10.8.5 on my iMac. Prior to that, my internet connection remained on at all times. Now, every time I turn my computer on (after putting it to sleep), I have to manually connect to the internet. It's not the end of the world seeing as I have no problems connecting. I just don't want to have to keep clicking on the WiFi icon and selecting the network EVERY time I turn my Mac on!

Why can't it just stay connected or automatically connect to WiFi when it wakes up?!?!

Also, I cannot seem to change any of the Network Options as everything is "greyed out". Why would this be and is it something I need to look into?

Any help will be much appreciated!

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Sep 24, 2013 10:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2013 10:23 AM

Look here if helps...

I´ve posted a link, but not right one... I'll check and post again

Message was edited by: mmollo22

13 replies

Apr 1, 2014 8:58 AM in response to laddersrich

Words cannot describe how angry this problem makes me. How can world's largest tech company not been able to fix their biggest bug for this many months now?!?!

All these forums are overflowing with the same **** problem: WIFI DOESN'T CONNECT AFTER COMING BACK FROM SLEEP ON MAVERICKS.

How many thousands of people have to post the same godddamn problem for how long?

And no, disconnecting Bluetooth doesn't help (even if it did, its not an acceptable solution). I took my MacBook Air to Apple store twice already and they cannot help either.

aaaAAAAaAaaAAaaarrrrghhh, I'm going to go insane from this problem.

I miss Steve.. he wouldn't let something like this go on for this long. Can a half a trillion dollar company pay attention to its own support forums or at least google "wifi-not-connecting-after-sleep-mavericks" and realize what incompetent company you have become?!

Apr 3, 2014 3:35 PM in response to laddersrich

Here was my solution to the problem. Hope this works for you and others with this problem. I was banging my head like everyone, trying different suggestions around the web none seem to work. But I stumbled across my own solution to the problem.

I opened system preferences-network-wifi-advanced - on the right hand side check ask to join new networks. Click apply. That's it problem solved

For some reason this keeps the settings when the laptop goes to sleep and when it shuts off. Hope this helps 🙂

Sep 4, 2015 8:42 AM in response to laddersrich

Here is the solution that worked for me.

1. I had many Wi-Fi connections and passwords saved in my history.

2. I had two connections in my history that were accessible at the same time. The system did not "know" which one to connect to so after sleep, it connected to neither.

So, this worked:

1. Click the Apple logo in the upper left corner of your screen.

2. Settings

3. Network

4. Advanced - and select the "Wi-Fi" tab.

5. Now click the "wifi rainbow" toward the upper right corner of your screen and see which connections are accessible to you now.

6. With those names in mind, go back to the Network settings and under "Network Name," click the network name(s) you want your computer to "forget"

7. With the names you want to "forget" selected, click the minus sign below the list of network names. This will take the network and password out of your system history.

8. Click "OK"

WiFi disconnects every time Mac goes to sleep.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.