Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

error backing up -5000

I am FINALLY updating my IPod Touch from 3.1.3. I have almost 1200 songs on it. I have been leary to upgrade because I don't want to lose my music. Today I had to the heart to ATTEMPT upgrading but then received an error message about backing up my data with error code -5000. I am using ITunes 11. I have already gone to Summary and selected Back Up Now. I went into preferences and confirmed the back up date of today. I even Synced it again just to be on the safe side.

What is this error and how do I finally update my ITouch without losing all my music??????

iPod touch, iOS 3.1.3, Not sure if 1st or 2nd Generation

Posted on Sep 24, 2013 10:16 AM

2 replies

Sep 24, 2013 10:28 AM in response to jlbrowneyes

iOS: Troubleshooting backup issues in iTunes

Have you looked at the previous discussions listed on the right side of this page under the heading "More Like This"? Ones with a green checkmark are solved.

This one says solved

Re: iOS5 update: Error occurred while backing up -5000

The iPod backup that iTunes makes does not inclued any synced media like apps and music.

Follow these instructions if all the synced media is not in your iTunes library.

Syncing to a "New" Computer or replacing a "crashed" Hard Drive: Apple Support Communities

Before you restore/update the iPod make sure that your iTunes library has the version of apps that are presently installed on your iPod. Many apps have been updated and the update apps are not compatible with the 1G iPod. I would do that by deleting the apps from your iTunes library and then transfer them to your iTunes library. See:

iTunes Store: Transferring purchases from your iOS device or iPod to a computer

In iTunes 11 use Control+B to show the Menu bar then go to iTunes>File>Devices>Transfer Purchases

error backing up -5000

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.