Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am running 10.6.8 and I don't have an iCloud icon in the System Preferences, so how am I suppose to upgrade my iCloud storage?

I am running 10.6.8 and I don't have an iCloud icon in the System Preferences, so how am I suppose to upgrade my iCloud storage? What do I need to do?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Sep 24, 2013 12:35 PM

17 replies

Sep 24, 2013 1:24 PM in response to Siervo

You can only upgrade your storage in the iCloud preference pane on a computer or iOS device. If you only have access to your Snow Leopard Mac you can only do this by upgrading the System. As you have Snow Leopard and so canot have signed into iCloud you cannot surely have used more than 5GB?

The minimum requirement for iCloud is Lion 10.7.5 (Mountain Lion preferred): the iCloud Preference Pane does not appear on earlier systems - the MobileMe pane appears on Lion and earlier but is non non-functional - you cannot now open or access a MobileMe account.

To make use of iCloud you will have to upgrade your Mac to Lion or Mountain Lion, provided it meets the requirements.

The requirements for Lion are:

• Mac computer with an Intel Core 2 Duo, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7, or Xeon processor
  • 2GB of memory
  • OS X v10.6.6 or later (v10.6.8 recommended)
  • 7GB of available space

To purchase it you will have to ring Apple at the number given at the bottom left of this page.

The requirements for Mountain Lion are:

• OS X v10.6.8 or later
  • 2GB of memory
  • 8GB of available space

and the supported models are:

• iMac (Mid 2007 or newer)
  • MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer)
  • MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer)
  • Xserve (Early 2009)
  • MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer)
  • Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer)
  • Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer)

It is available from the Mac App Store (in Applications).

You should be aware that PPC programs (such as AppleWorks) will not run on Lion or above; and some other applications may not be compatible - there is a useful compatibility checklist at http://roaringapps.com/apps:table

Sep 24, 2013 2:09 PM in response to Siervo

If you know someone with a compliant Mac, or can get to an Apple Store, you can sign into iCloud and pay for the extra storage.

If you do this, make sure to sign out afterwards, and change the password at http://appleid.apple.com

If you wish to continue your current storage level, the instructions are here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5527

Scroll down to 'How do I purchase my current plan?' and expand the section applicable to your computer or device.

Though I don't know how you managed to fill 7GB if you can't even sign into it.

Sep 25, 2013 2:27 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Signing is no problem from my computer. I've had a .mac account for years and when they went to iCloud, everything just continued on as normal. I had 20gb available to me, but that was only till the end of this month. But, when I am signed into iCloud, there is no place to pay for extra storage. All the directions tell me I need to go into System Preferences and select the iCloud icon which is obviously not there since I am on 10.6.8. Maybe I'll just go and ask a Mac Genius. Thanks anyways.

Sep 29, 2013 10:45 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

The genius was NOT - she allowed me to sign in but not purchase additional iCloud storage. Further, she opened a service file: Tech called immediately tto say that they could do nothing. They referred me to Apple resellers who would not allow the use of their store computers to sign in and purchase storage. "Furious" doesn't come close....

Sep 29, 2013 12:03 PM in response to Csound1

Yes, we already have Gmail accounts (and Yahoo and Excite and Hotmail et al.) We received a kind message from Roger Wilmut 1 indicating that our *.mac and *.me addresses will continue to function as we have downloaded all of the messages stored on iCloud. Unfortunately, the iCloud warnings do not reflect the current status shown in our account accessed through Safari https://www.icloud.com/#

Randy Singer rocks!

Sep 29, 2013 12:26 PM in response to judyth

Just an aside really but I would never entrust my business communications and scheduling to a free consumer system, a system with no guarantee of continued service and no real support. Added to that you are running it on non-compliant machinery.

How much does your business communications mean to you?

Feel free to ignore my take on it. 🙂

I am running 10.6.8 and I don't have an iCloud icon in the System Preferences, so how am I suppose to upgrade my iCloud storage?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.