Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

NetBootSP0 folder unsharing itself?

The server system is a Mac Mini running OS X Mountain Lion Server(10.8.5). It was originally running 10.6.x. It has 8GB of RAM, and dual 1TB hard drives in a RAID-1 configuration. I know that the Mac I'm trying to boot can boot from the particular Netboot image, because it's done so in the past. The network is all 1Gbps over ethernet, and there are no known network issues.

I use Netboot, and have for many years. I'm trying to use Netboot, but the NetBootSP0 keeps unsharing itself. It's bizarre.

I'll make sure the NetBootSP0 folder is shared, then try to netboot a Mac, and it will fail to do so. Then I'll open /Applications/Server.app, check the File Sharing pane, and sure enough, the NetBootSP0 folder has become unshared.

I just want to be able to continue netbooting as I've been doing for many years.

Any ideas?

Mac mini, 10.8.5

Posted on Sep 24, 2013 1:26 PM

3 replies

Sep 25, 2013 8:22 AM in response to Matthew Kinabrew

Check the server logs/syslog for anything that might indicate why the service is being stopped.

Maybe you have some sort of permissions issue on the folder. You could set aside any images, deconfigure NetBoot, delete the /Library/NetBoot folder, and reconfigure NetBoot so it recreates the folder structure. Then copy your images back into the new NetBootSP0 folder.

Sep 26, 2013 2:13 PM in response to Brian Nesse

Thanks for the suggestion. I disabled Netboot, renamed the NetBoot folder to NetBtOld, and flipped the switch to enable Netboot. It momentarily flipped on, then flipped off, but it did generate the folder structure.

Then in the Terminal, I entered

rsync -avuE /Library/NetBtOld/NetBootSP0 /Library/NetBoot/NetBootSP0/

then enabled Netboot, shared the folder, and everything seems to be working as well as it used to.

Thanks again.

NetBootSP0 folder unsharing itself?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.