Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't swipe to unlock my phone or even turn it off :(

I recently upgraded my phone to iOS7 and I've been having a few screen freezing problems but the one I'm having at the moment is that my screen won't seem to unlock. All of my buttons and switches work. All I can do on the screen is swipe down from the very top to see my notifications, swipe up from the bottom to see all my other utilities, but it won't let me tap on anything, it wont let me swipe across to see anything else or change anything. I tried turning off my phone but it won't let me swipe from left to right or the other way. I've even tried asking siri to do a few things but she's not really helpful since my phone is locked. My battery is almost fully charged so waiting for it to go down might take a little too long and I'm not at home so I can't plug my phone into my computer. Any help would be very useful.

iPhone 4S, iOS 7

Posted on Sep 24, 2013 2:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2015 2:16 AM

OK - I know this works for iphone 4s ios 9.1. BTW: Everyone should turn on "Hey Siri" - go to Settings-General-Siri & go thru prompts to turn on. If you've totally screwed up your accessibility and can't access anything, i.e., can't turn off/reset phone by pressing & holding home button and power button together, can't slide to unlock, and if unlocked, can't tap app to open - IF "Hey Siri" is enabled, you can ask Siri to to "Open Accessibility in Settings." If you cannot choose the desired Accesibility option as you normally would, e.g., by scrolling down and tapping, then tap the screen as many times as necessary to get a menu (that has B&W icons) to pop up. An outline around each menu icon/choice (on this B&W menu) will automatically move from one icon to the next. Choose "Item Control" which will then start to automatically outline each Accessibility Area/option, one after another, indicating when an option can be tapped to choose. TURN OFF ALL "INTERACTION" CONTROLS. If the "Item Control" outline does not move far enough down to the Accessibility area of Interaction Controls, and you cannot swipe down, pop the B&W icon menu up again. Then select the option "More" which is indicated by an outline around a set of dots centered under the B&W icon rows, and you will be able to then choose the "Scroll Down" icon. When you have then scrolled down far enough on the Accessibility screen and see the Interaction control area, choose the "Item Control" icon again from the B&W menu, and this outline will again automatically move from one control to another. Tap/turn off all "Interaction" options. Hope this helps.

25 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 25, 2015 2:16 AM in response to razmee209

OK - I know this works for iphone 4s ios 9.1. BTW: Everyone should turn on "Hey Siri" - go to Settings-General-Siri & go thru prompts to turn on. If you've totally screwed up your accessibility and can't access anything, i.e., can't turn off/reset phone by pressing & holding home button and power button together, can't slide to unlock, and if unlocked, can't tap app to open - IF "Hey Siri" is enabled, you can ask Siri to to "Open Accessibility in Settings." If you cannot choose the desired Accesibility option as you normally would, e.g., by scrolling down and tapping, then tap the screen as many times as necessary to get a menu (that has B&W icons) to pop up. An outline around each menu icon/choice (on this B&W menu) will automatically move from one icon to the next. Choose "Item Control" which will then start to automatically outline each Accessibility Area/option, one after another, indicating when an option can be tapped to choose. TURN OFF ALL "INTERACTION" CONTROLS. If the "Item Control" outline does not move far enough down to the Accessibility area of Interaction Controls, and you cannot swipe down, pop the B&W icon menu up again. Then select the option "More" which is indicated by an outline around a set of dots centered under the B&W icon rows, and you will be able to then choose the "Scroll Down" icon. When you have then scrolled down far enough on the Accessibility screen and see the Interaction control area, choose the "Item Control" icon again from the B&W menu, and this outline will again automatically move from one control to another. Tap/turn off all "Interaction" options. Hope this helps.

May 17, 2014 10:24 AM in response to savitia10

I tried the home/sleep reset but did not work. After reading the manual online under reset (page 145-146) it sounded like it might be a setting that accidentally was set called "Assistive Touch" which referred me to page 127. So much for where to find it, the solution was pressing the home key at the bottom 3 times in a row and voila everything was back to normal. Thanks to this discussion page I got on the right track to find it even though the resolution was not here. I have also accidentally set "Voice Control" on in the past and reset that setting using the same push home key 3 times. These setting apparently have been done through a shortcut that I am unaware of having made but pressing the home key 3 times apparently is the solution the these type of issues.

Feb 20, 2015 4:01 AM in response to savitia10

Shocking.

I've had several iPhones over the years, I even write software for iPhones & iPads... but today, I bought my wife a brand new iPhone 4s, but even I couldn't get past the very first "Swipe to setup" screen.

For some reason, from coming out of the box, the phone was just reading out the text on whichever control was highlighted on this first start screen. If I tried to tap on any other button, it'd just highlight that control, and read out it's text. I could not work out how the **** to turn this feature off and go to the next screen !

Without this Apple Discussions thread, I would've had absolutely no idea that I needed to "tap the Home button three times" to turn this annoying feature off.

Seriously... it's 2015, the first impression should be more friendly than this...

Sep 20, 2015 12:46 AM in response to savitia10

I found a solution for this, I literally spent 12 hours trying to solve this problem and almost got crazy. Restore your iPhone, the when it asks you to set a password skip this step. Your iPhone won't ask you again to "Swipe to upgrade". The only problem here is that you won't be able to set a password because if you try to do that the "Swipe to upgrade" bug will appear again.

I can't swipe to unlock my phone or even turn it off :(

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.