Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

best webcam for mac

can anyone recommend a good webcam that works with mac?

iMac

Posted on Sep 24, 2013 2:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2013 4:59 PM

Lots of choices: http://www.mac-compatible-web-cam.com

For low cost option, consider http://www.ecamm.com/mac/icubiewebcam/index.html

Whatever features /price you need, check System Requirements for compatibility with your system.

17 replies

May 11, 2014 7:45 AM in response to bobwilley

Great suggestion, bobwillwy!

For other readers, if you have not already bought a webcam, consider bobwilley's suggestion to use theMac-compatible (and lower-cost) HD Webcam C615.

However, for users who already have the Logitech 920, as demonstrated in this YouTube video, the 920's Hi-Def and other functions works if you add Webcam Settings software. Note that Hi-Def frame rates and audio syncing issues can occur. CPU power, data bus speeds, and/or video card limitations, especially in older or slower Macs, may give less than perfect results when attempting to deal with the huge data processing requirements of full 1080 HD.

Sep 11, 2014 4:52 PM in response to BruceApple

The Logitech C310 is another cheaper option. This is the best Logitich webcam for Mac. I know they all say "MAC compatible" but that doesn't mean they work with all programs or even work well. The higher end models definatley don't work and most of them have been returned by Mac users. The C310 has worked great for me and others as well and it's much cheaper!

Oct 21, 2014 4:13 PM in response to BruceApple

I bought the Logitech C920 from Best Buy without realizing it was not stated as Mac compatible. Only listed Windows. So never opened the box. Ordered the Logitech C930e from Amazon as it stated Mac compatibility. Installed the C930e and the video flickered and the audio was sub-par and it wouldn't run through my powered USB hub. So after seeing this post I opened and installed the C920 and it work GREAT and runs through my hub! I simply use it for FaceTime with family.

FYI - I am running a 2013 rMBP with a DELL U2713HM Display.

Thanks.

John

May 22, 2015 9:26 AM in response to showbiz11

showbiz11 wrote: The Logitech software is interfering ...stops when the Logitech software is removed.

Many third-party (non-Apple) software apps cause conflicts for some, but not all, users. You cleverly discovered the right workaround for your problem!

For benefit of other readers, Mac-compatible USB cams will work with your Mac without adding any third-party software provided that you are usingOS X 10.4.9 or later. I never even install the third-party software when I plug in a new camera.

The unique functions advertised by the third-party will not work without adding the software, but Mac-compatible third-party camera will provide all normal functions of Apple software that uses a camera. The benefit of this limitation is that you will not be bothered by the interference showbiz11 encountered.

Message was edited by: EZ Jim

Mac OSX 10.10.3

May 22, 2015 10:28 AM in response to showbiz11

showbiz11 wrote:... "Webcam Settings"... works beautifully ...

It is good that Webcam Settings is working so well for you. However, Webcam Settings is not Apple software. It is available in the Mac App Store (MAS) from "Mactaris", an independent Mac OS software developer.

A look at the MAS Customer Ratings forWebcam Settingsshows great satisfaction from most users.

Those that need an alternative third-party add-on might want to consider iGlasses, which is available directly from its developer and has offered user-controllable functions to Mac camera users for many years.

Message was edited by: EZ Jim

Mac OSX 10.10.3

Sep 23, 2015 2:54 PM in response to EZ Jim

Thanks. The first link seems unreliable as the Logitech C920 is listed and that's the one that my MacBook wouldn't recognise. The second ecamm link looked most promising but unfortunately I can't as yet find a UK supplier for their webcam. I note they also do a FaceTime recorder software which would also be very handy for recording my music lessons. thanks for your help which is putting me on the right track in my search.

best webcam for mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.