Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to set up my time capsule on a completely new network & location without losing the old backups. How do I do this?

I want to set up my time capsule on a completely new network & location without losing the old backups. How do I do this? I cannot find anything in the user manual.

Time Capsule-OTHER, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Sep 24, 2013 3:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2013 3:47 PM

You old backups are totally unaffected by moving, renaming or resetting the TC.. there is simply nothing you have to do. The only way old backups are removed is your deliberate delete or erase.

3 replies

Sep 24, 2013 4:07 PM in response to nikolaus1994

The TC is very hard to just move.. it retains too much of the old network setup.. buried deep in the bowels of the firmware configuration files.. or even on the hard disk special partitions used by the TC.. invisible to you btw.. !!

Do a factory reset and setup from scratch.

That factory reset will have no affect on your backups.. even if you rename the TC.. not a bad things since you also want clients to respond to the new network.. simply reset TM to the new TC name and location.

See A4 here.

http://pondini.org/TM/Troubleshooting.html

Factory reset.

The Factory Reset Gen1-4.

Unplug your TC. Hold in reset. and power the TC back on.. without releasing reset for about 10sec. When the status light flashes rapidly; release it.

Be Gentle! Feel the switch click on. It has a positive feel.. add no more pressure after that.

TC will reboot after a couple of minutes with default factory settings and will wipe out previous configurations.

No files are deleted on the hard disk.. No reset of the TC deletes files.. to do that you use erase from the airport utility.

Factory reset Gen 5

Hold in reset for about 5sec until the status light flashes quickly.

If your AirPort Time Capsule still doesn’t respond, do a similar reset to the Gen1-4.

Unplug your AirPort Time Capsule .. hold in reset and power the TC back on.. without releasing the reset.. wait until status led flashes rapidly.

I want to set up my time capsule on a completely new network & location without losing the old backups. How do I do this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.