Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can someone explain/comment upon the "verification" function of Time Machine

Last night Time Machine presented me with a dialogue box--really a monologue box--informing me that I needed to "verify" my TM backup. Having spent a good bit of the afternoon on a crowded freeway coming back from Los Angeles, I was tired and foolishly said 'OK' rather than postponing the process until my head was clearer. After the 'OK' it proceeded to create a totally new backup of the HD on my iMac, a process requiring about 5 hours. Furthermore, all the previous backup files have vanished into the electronic ether. So, have I been screwed over by some trojan horse, or this an actual (but undocumented) function of TM and Time Capsule? There does seem to be a legtimate backup file, dated yesterday, but nothing from the preceeding three months.

iMac, Mac user since 1984

Posted on Sep 24, 2013 4:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2013 5:20 PM

The error is due to the corruption of the existing backup.. a new backup was therefore required.. you have now gone too far to go back.. but even if you had tried the chances are the old backup was too corrupted to produce much that was useful or could be restored.

Check Pondini for the fault which is common.. especially if people do backups over wireless.

See C13 here. http://pondini.org/TM/Troubleshooting.html

Time Machine presented me with a dialogue box--really a monologue box--

You press its buttons.. that is sort of a dialogue..

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 24, 2013 5:20 PM in response to desert hedgehog

The error is due to the corruption of the existing backup.. a new backup was therefore required.. you have now gone too far to go back.. but even if you had tried the chances are the old backup was too corrupted to produce much that was useful or could be restored.

Check Pondini for the fault which is common.. especially if people do backups over wireless.

See C13 here. http://pondini.org/TM/Troubleshooting.html

Time Machine presented me with a dialogue box--really a monologue box--

You press its buttons.. that is sort of a dialogue..

Can someone explain/comment upon the "verification" function of Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.