Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screensaver "start time" option grayed out

i am logged in to my mac as an administrator but i cannot change the screen saver idle time settings - the "start after" drop down where i can select when the screen saver turns on is grayed out. Please help - i have a macbook pro i7 (2013 model) with OSX 10.8.5.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Sep 24, 2013 5:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2013 8:03 PM

Back up all data. Quit System Preferences if it's running.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it, then copy the text to the Clipboard (command-C):

~/Library/Preferences/ByHost

In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar. Paste into the box that opens (command-V), then press return. A folder should open. If it does, look for a file with a long name that begins "com.apple.screensaver". There may be two such files. Move the one without the word "slideshow" in the name to the Trash.

Test. If the problem is resolved. recreate your settings in the Screen Saver tab.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 24, 2013 8:03 PM in response to MacbookProRetina13

Back up all data. Quit System Preferences if it's running.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it, then copy the text to the Clipboard (command-C):

~/Library/Preferences/ByHost

In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar. Paste into the box that opens (command-V), then press return. A folder should open. If it does, look for a file with a long name that begins "com.apple.screensaver". There may be two such files. Move the one without the word "slideshow" in the name to the Trash.

Test. If the problem is resolved. recreate your settings in the Screen Saver tab.

Sep 25, 2013 10:38 AM in response to Linc Davis

So i was able to find the file you mentioned and deleted it. However, when i went back to screensaver settings, the "start time" was still disabled. ALso, i noticed that as soon as i would open up the screen saver settings (after deleting the com.apple.screensaver file), the file i had deleted was automatically recreated. So, still no luck with updating screen saver settings....

Screensaver "start time" option grayed out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.