Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AT&T Activation issue iPhone 5s

Just received my new iphone 5s and cannot get past the activation screen. After turning on the device it asks for the billing zip code and last 4 of account holder’s soc #. I have entered the correct information several times and verified the information with AT&T. Have called AT&T and Apple, however each blaming each other for the issue. I have used recovery mode through iTunes to update and restore the iPhone 5s to the most current 7.0.1, which made no difference. The sim card is valid and active in the 5s, as I can remove it and insert it into my old iPhone 5 and place and receive calls.

After entering the correct billing zip code and last 4 soc #, I’m greeted with this message:

AT&T was unable to verify your identity using the information you entered. It could be as simple as a typo. Please re-check your information and try again.

Neither AT&T nor Apple has a solution

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on Sep 24, 2013 8:10 PM

5 replies

Sep 25, 2013 6:57 AM in response to keltek

After such a frustrating night, I brought my 5s to work this morning with the hopes that I could get into the Genius Bar today. But, I decided to go ahead and try activating the phone myself again just for the **** of it. So, I took the SIM from my working iPhone 5 and put it into the 5s. Just like we had done 10 times last night. Well, low and behold, this time it worked! My 5s is now restoring from iCloud. So, it seems like there is a lag in the system somewhere and given some time, the issue will resolve itself.

Sep 27, 2013 7:51 PM in response to Jen_McGuirt

Went through all the hoops, was informed "shut it down, restart in five minutes and you are activated". After seven hours of frustration, e-engineer son in law (God bless him), suggested I go to settings and ck phone.

Sure enough, my phone number was not in. Put it in, all is well.

I expected my nbr was already in the phone, or that the instructions for activation would suggest that to be a good idea. Expectations = presumptions = trouble. Trust nothing, however basic, has been covered by the "experts" telling you how to activate (ATT particularly).

AT&T Activation issue iPhone 5s

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.