Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No notification sounds after iOS 7 update on iPhone 4

After updating to iOS 7 my iPhone does not play any sound when I get a text message, email or game alert. However the phone still rings when someone calls and I can listen to music as well as preview all of the possible sounds to play as a ringer.

I would really like to know when someone is trying to get ahold of me, can anyone help?

iPhone 4, iOS 7

Posted on Sep 24, 2013 8:10 PM

7 replies

Sep 25, 2013 12:29 AM in response to pam_lynn765

Same here after the update, but the notifications won't show unless I acces manually each application for the new messages. The phone calls won't ring too, I just see the missed calls. I receive also a message everytime I open applications that I need to connect to ITunes for push notifications. I did that and no remedy at all and the message still there ... Any solution , or do we have to wait for new update ???

Oct 16, 2013 10:00 AM in response to pam_lynn765

I HAVE FIGURED OUT THE FIX FOR THIS! ... (Well it worked for me.)

I saw a post from an apple rep telling a iOS 6 user to turn the side switch on to un-mute the sounds. A no-brainier yes, but it made me wonder if the side switch may have been temporarily "confused" after updating to iOS 7 because it added the new settings screen that swipes up from the bottom of the screen. I was using my side-switch to lock the screen rotation and it was in the "off" (down) position (red visible) and none of my notifications were sounding. So I flipped it up and down a couple times which didn't solve the problem. So logically, I proceeded to what inevitably solved the problem...

Go to Settings > General / "Use Side Switch To" and select the opposite of what you are currently using. I had mine on Lock Rotation, so I selected Mute. Then flip your switch up and down slowly a couple of times to see that the confirmation on the screen is correct. You may have to go back to settings again and select the other choice if you originally had Mute selected, I don't know because I originally had Lock Rotation in use.

Hopefully, this will fix your notification sounds (and the lock sound when you press the power button). After using this fix, you can set the use of the side switch to your preference and still have all of your notification sounds!

Nov 2, 2013 4:50 PM in response to splittering

This is the issue I am having, as well.

Here is what I am seeing...

When I get to the Assistive Touch screen, if it's in the 'off' position and I move it to the "on" position, a square that is somewhat translucent appears in the bottom right corner of my screen. I can re-position it to anywhere on the screen.

I guess I am not getting the connection between turning on Assistive Touch and "Use side switch to".

So for those of us with iPhones, what, specifically, are the steps to accomplish this?

No notification sounds after iOS 7 update on iPhone 4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.