Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 7 won't allow music videos on a playlist play in landscape mode

So before in the Music app if I selected a Music Video and played it in landscape mode, it, well, played in landscape mode, full screen.

Now with the music app in iOS 7 if I play a music video and turn it to landscape mode, I get...album tiles. ?????

Seriously? What genius thought this up? "Hey, if a guy is watching a music video and rotates his phone, I'll bet he wants to see a bunch of unrelated album art. Let's make that happen."

The only way to see video full screen is from the Video app, but gee, no way to organize anything by artist, playlist, or any other way that I can see. Just one long alphabetical list of individual media files. Once a music video ends you have to manually tap on another to play instead of a continuous list or random list.

While running at the gym the vertical view is very inconvenient since the phone won't stay on a stand with the headphones Jack coming out from under it.

PLEASE FIX THIS!!!

iPhone 4, iOS 6

Posted on Sep 24, 2013 9:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2013 7:01 AM

I find this ridiculous as well i cant believe they did this, its my only problem with the new os i really hope they fix this soon.

31 replies

Sep 28, 2013 2:44 PM in response to Sebastian from salt lake city

iOS 6 behaved the same way for me. Originally iOS 6 did not play music videos at all but then could when they added the Video app. I also find this odd but I'm still watcing my music videos as I used to so its not broken, it just functions in a way that is different from how some of us expect it to respond. Since rotating the iPhone when in iTunes (while playng a non-music video song) brings up an alternative, album, view, this behavior is consistent from a technical perspective, but I'd prefer that the video would just rotate into landscape mode.

Sep 29, 2013 5:22 PM in response to Sebastian from salt lake city

I just tried it in iOS 7.0.2 and music videos do play for me just fine in the music app, it just doesn't rotate when i turn the phone. The functionality exists, just us the Video app. Since this behavior is consistent from version to version is not broke. If you are looing for an enhancement then contact Apple and politely as them for an enhancement resuest to get the behavior of teh iTunes app to be changed from the standard behavior, just for music videos.

Sep 30, 2013 7:08 AM in response to BobLo

BobLo.

I have hundreds of music videos separated in playlists like "gym videos", "relax videos" and I have watched videos on a continuous shuffled playlist on all my iPods since 2004 and my 3 iPhones until ios7. Let's say Apple wants to keep music and videos separate... What's the point of creating a Video app that plays one video at a time? Even if you tap on the "forward" key it won't go to another video.

This is not consistent since music videos played just fine vertical or landscape on ten Music app before ios7.

Thanks.

Oct 6, 2013 12:54 PM in response to Sebastian from salt lake city

and that is also the reason i needed to create playlists, to better organise the videos. just like songs, we can create playlists to what we want. and we have this playlists to play songs continuously in the order that we set. likewise for videos.

i just want really my videos to play in full screen landscape, in the playlists, just like previously in iOS 6. i really miss that function in iOS 6.

or allow VIDEO to create playlists?

Oct 13, 2013 7:19 PM in response to Sebastian from salt lake city

After updating to ios7 and losing the landscape video playlist functionality that the iPhone had for years, I too am extremely frustrated, as I too routinely used the video playlist feature to exercise with on a daily basis on an elliptical or treadmill. I agree that adding a playlist feature to the videos app would work as well. I was afraid this might happen, as the iPad lost this functionality as well (as best as I could tell), but at least I found an app to use on the iPad to create a video playlist for songs purchased on iTunes. At this stage, I'm reluctant to purchase any more music videos on iTunes after having the landscape music video playlist feature arbitrarily removed in the ios7 ""update". I would not have purchased the videos I already had if I knew the ability to view them in an easy and efficient manner would be taken away.

Oct 19, 2013 9:05 AM in response to Santhosh Vijay

I used the playlist for videos for yrs now. Heres how i short cutted apple.

Go to your videos in your library, change media to podcast, if you arent able to change media, if its greyed out, highlight the videos that are not change able. in itunes on top menu bar, click file, create new version, then click for ipod or iphone. it makes a duplicate copy, then you change the media type of the new copy it made. select podcast.it wll the disappear and the original stays in your videos list. download the podcast app. resync your device with all podcasts checked on the phones tool bar and now you have analog video out from the podcast app, you cant shuffle, but video out works and you can skip to the next song with no problems, it will play in landscape mode as well like the old video player looked. it will also play the next song automaticly if you put them all in the on the go list in the podcast app you can have an order to which the will play. so you will use the podcast app as a video app. you may need to change a few setting to to subcribe to podcast or how to display your videos but i got mine to where im just like ios7 never happed, except the blinding colors.

Nov 2, 2013 1:11 AM in response to Sebastian from salt lake city

***?

What is Apple thinking? There is absolutely no rhyme or reason as to why they would do away with the perfectly funcitoning video feature in iTunes. Everyone knows that Their video player app is a completley and utterly useless piece of junk that has no practical functionality whatsoever. Seriously, who sits there and watches one video at a time and then has the time to scroll through the rest of their videos until they find the next video that they want to watch?

I just read an article in Popular Science about this new technology that allows you to create music video playlists in panoramic/ landscape view...

Seriously, what's it going to take Apple to get with the program and quit f*****g everything up all of the time. Especillially with all of the competition that's out there these days... Nobody needs to put up with this crap. Someone please explain to me what the purpose of being able to arbitrarilly view random album art when watching a music video and turning your screen to landscape panoramic.

IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT!

Apple/ Mac, you're seriously tempting fate and before long you'll be falling by the wayside of a company who keeps it simple and provides the customer with what they want, as opposed to just randomly chaging things up because you can.

You guys are getting way too big for your own britches...

Nov 10, 2013 4:11 AM in response to Sebastian from salt lake city

Guess what . . . I upgraded to IOS 7 - and now I can't play movies or videos at all ! Apple have removed the capability for iPhone 4. I've been to the Genius Bar in my Apple store, and they don't know how to restore the capability to play movies and videos . . . Even the ones that I shot using the iPhone's video recorder !!

ps: The staff at the Genius Bar tell me can't restore my iPhone 4 to IOS 6

Apple, what am I meant to do?

Dec 5, 2013 10:19 PM in response to Sebastian from salt lake city

I assume you already have this fixed but just in case anyone else needs it, my friend gave me the solution. I just ran into this problem tonight and my friend told me how to fix it. In the quick settings, click on the lock and it will say Potrait locked. Just unlock it and there you go! Quick easy fix!! Upper right hand corner...User uploaded file

iOS 7 won't allow music videos on a playlist play in landscape mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.