Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Syncing with new computer

I previously was using itunes on our family computer. That computer is now clunky and old, and I have my own. My itunes account is linked to both my new computer and the old one and I have synced my iPhone with both many times, however, it wasn't until the new itunes update (11.1) that I have been able to figure out how to manually sync (an option I decided long ago that has caused me much grief throughout the years.) on the new laptop (since the old one still had the old version of itunes). However, since I have my iPhone synced with the old computer, it is asking me to "erase and sync" before I can start downloading from this new comouter. Is there a way around this, and when it says erase, does that only refer to music, or everything (pictures, apps, etc.)

iPhone 4S, iOS 7

Posted on Sep 24, 2013 9:56 PM

1 reply

Sep 24, 2013 10:27 PM in response to emmakjv

emmakjv wrote:

... Is there a way around this, and when it says erase, does that only refer to music, or everything (pictures, apps, etc.)

An iOS device can be synced to only one computer at a time, and when you sync it with a different one iTunes will do exactly what it says, in the order it says it: the iPhone will first be completely erased, and then it will be synced to the iTunes Library on that computer.

To ensure your iPhone's contents remain the same, copy the iTunes Library from the old, clunky computer to the new one. On a Mac, you can use Migration Assistant to copy content from another Mac or a Windows PC.

Syncing with new computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.