Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Double click home button app question/inquiry

When you officially close an app it's when you click the home button right? But from what some people tell me if you double click the home button when the screen rises up and see those apps under there, does that still mean that the apps are still open until you press on them till they wiggle and press the X and delete them to officially close the app or are those apps there to just simply remind you of when you were in you past app history?

Thanks for your responses!

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Sep 24, 2013 11:17 PM

10 replies

Sep 25, 2013 12:27 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks for your response Kappy,

Just wanted to know I've got it straight now because before I thouth just hitting the home button once and closing to the home screen shut the app off. Learn something new everyday.

The reason for asking about closing the application is because when I chatted with the guy from Magic Jack he asked me do you have any open applications and I thought well no because of my misunderstanding that you have to delete them from the multi-task. He's the one that suggested this. I didn't lose internet connectivity though because right after the call hung up I went to another app and I was still connected but I don't' now if it could have lost connectivity in those 1 or 2 seconds that it hung up if just lost connectivity for those seconds. The guy from Magic Jack had the idea of not closing the apps was the reason so that's where that came from.

You said you have it installed on your computer. I had it installed on my old Dell computer before I sold it and then when I wanted to reinstall it on my new Mac it was no longer available and is still no longer available. I didn't buy the Magic Jack gadget and plug it into my computer what I did was just install the software only (no gadget plug into the USB port).

How do you have it installed on your computer through the gadget (box) that you buy or did you also install just the softphone only software without the box?

I never had an issue on the computer of anything hanging up on me. Now if I want it on my computer I have to go to the store and buy the gadget. They stopped the software only.

What do you have gadget or just the software because if you have the software and get rid of it, it will no longer be available and in order now to put it back on your computer you have to buy the gadget and plug it in which is a real inconvenience now. They just have Magic Jack app only now for iPod & iPhone no longer softphone application only for computer.

How's it working out for you? Do you just have the software? If it's working out pretty good for you like it did for me? I wouldn't get rid of it because you won't be able to install it anymore unless you go out and buy Magic Jack and plug it in. Thanks for your help!

Sep 25, 2013 12:33 PM in response to abombaci

I really can't fully answer this. I first got Magic Jack when it was first available. I have updated the software over the years. As I remember MJ always had a device to which you connected your phone. I now have the latest MJ device that does not require the computer.

However, I do not use MJ. I may take it with me when traveling in case it may come in handy, but I have yet to use it on the road. At home I use and have used Vonage.

Sep 24, 2013 11:25 PM in response to Kappy

Hi Kappy,

This is for iPod Touch (4th gen) running 6.1.3 I've just deleted those icons last night by pressing on them and pressing them to delete them but my question is. I always understood it as when an app is open you click the home button once and it closes the app. Now some other people are saying that if you double click the home button and then the screen rises up slightly you see those apps under there, does that mean that it's just your past app history that your deleting when you click on the X or are you actually closing the app when you delete these apps under the double home click?

Sep 24, 2013 11:26 PM in response to abombaci

It's called multi-tasking, and it's just the same for iOS 6 as for iOS 7 except that the multi-tasking bar is different as is the method of closing down an open app.

If you want device specific information then it helps to indicate that in your post and/or be sure you have the information in your profile for us to read.

Sep 24, 2013 11:33 PM in response to Kappy

Ok so does that mean when I say for instance open an app on the home screen and then it opens on the screen when I just click the home button once and see the screen close is the app then closed or is it still open until I double click the home button and press on the app and hit the X to close it?

It's in my profile I just didn't mention what device it was in the question. So does that mean that when an app is open and I click the home button once and the screen shuts down the app is still open?

I don't multi-task on it, I just run one app at a time so I was thinking when the home button is double click it's either showing just the past history of apps that I've ran or now I'm hearing something else where the app isn't offically closed by clicking the home button once and seeing your screen close and the app isn't officially closed until you double click and then delete it. Is that true?

Sep 24, 2013 11:49 PM in response to Kappy

Kappy wrote:

Once you open an app it is always open until you close it on the mutli-tasking bar. Tapping once on the Home button merely puts the app into the background.

You know why I ask this? I have Magic Jack installed and when I'd call someone up I'd be on for like 1 minute and the thing would hang up on the other party not all the time it all depended on who I called on some calls it would be crystal clear till the end when I hung up (in this case it was a doctor's office. I chatted with the guy from Magic Jack to tell him about it and he mentioned to me "Do You Have Any Apps That Are Open"? and naturally I thought no because I'd only have one thing open at a time and then I thought when I click the home button once and the screen or app shuts down the app is closed.

He tried mentioning to me about double clicking the home button after asking me do I have any apps open and I didn't know what he was talking about because I always thought when you had something open and you clicked your home button once and see the screen shutdown you've closed the app.

So when you click the home button once and see the screen close the app isn't closed it's still running in the backround and in order to close it you have to double click and press on it till it wiggles and then hit the X to delete to fully close the app. is that what you mean?

Wow and I never realized this that app is still running when the home button is clicked once and the screen shuts down? I'm wondering how Magic Jack didn't run over my bandwidth cap being open like that all the time. It's been low, hardly any bandwidth usage.

I wasn't multi-tasking because I'd have only one app open then click the home button so the screen closed and then opened another app (like that) I don't open app after app after app without hitting the home button and then opening another one. So did that mean I was multi tasking all the time even though I had one app on the screen at one time? I should say I was only viewing one app at a time now that you tell me the app doesn't close until you double click and delete.

Sep 25, 2013 11:19 AM in response to abombaci

So when you click the home button once and see the screen close the app isn't closed it's still running in the backround and in order to close it you have to double click and press on it till it wiggles and then hit the X to delete to fully close the app. is that what you mean?

Yes, that's what I mean. However, I don't know why that would have any impact on Magic Jack, but then I've never used it on anything buy my computer. The problem sounds more like a loss of Internet connectivity that would be causing such a disconnect, but I'm just guessing.

I will be traveling the next several days, so I may not reply quickly.

Sep 25, 2013 1:04 PM in response to Kappy

Well if you got it when it first came out I guess you had to buy the gadget and plug it into your computer but I found the softphone software only install (without the gadget) on their website and just installed the application alone on the computer and started using immediately. It worked great! They did away with this.

Also I chatted a second time with another woman from Magic Jack and she told me to install a VPN called (Hotspot Shield) which is an app that is available from the iTunes store but you when getting the app through iTunes store you have to pay a monthly fee. When you go right to their website here http://www.anchorfree.com you can get if for free with ads or if you want the version without ads you have to pay a yearly fee.

She said it would divert my connection or signal by that I guess she meant that it would stop the connection from dropping and the calls from hanging up. Haven't installed that yet though. I'm going to try the close all app scenario first and worst case scenario then I might try to install this app. She said when you install it on the Touch after it's installed you can just close it and it will still be running. I guess she meant in the backround.

Double click home button app question/inquiry

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.