Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Feedback to Apple: wrong bar measure and global accidental order in LX!

I was very surprised that a professional DAW like LX does not know the right order of musical signs: in notation first accidentals then bar measures, it is like this since hundreds of years, please do not change that ;-)

User uploaded file

In Logic X You can see what happens if the order is wrong espeacially using transposed instruments like clarinets in Bb or so...

User uploaded file

Also the bar and key indicator in the main window does show it in the wrong order: it should be alos named in the right order.

User uploaded file

I think one could expect at least a basic knowledge about music notation when programming a DAW, this is really embarrassing so Apple should change this as soon as possible...

Posted on Sep 24, 2013 11:48 PM

5 replies

Sep 25, 2013 12:59 AM in response to Luiginsky

If you ever had the pleasure to read handwritten music sheets, handed out by the composer/arranger during sound check before a concert, you would not care to complaint. Logic Score, with all it's shortcomings, is a tremendous progress for such a task for instance, this (produce clear scores quickly) is it's main advantage in my opinion! For a slick representation of music notation I'd use a dedicated app!

Have a nice day!

Sep 25, 2013 1:13 AM in response to kcstudio

I am sorry to be that clear: Logic is far away from being a score writing program, but in this case it is not acceptable to admit mistakes like the one I tried to explain. I had written and am writing big scores for orchestra and chamber music and I never was thinking about the order of bar measures and accidentals, because it is one of the first things You (should) learn in school when starting writing music. This basic knowledge is not a point of discussion especially with a DAW that is used by professional composers.

Long ago I started with Notator on a Atari and I went all the way till now, switched to Cubase and now I wanted to come back to Logic, but: mistakes like this do not post a very professional image. I do not want to make a big thing about it, Apple just should correct a mistake.

Sep 25, 2013 1:44 AM in response to Luiginsky

>>..........Long ago I started with Notator on a Atari and I went all the way till now,.......<<

Ha, then You surely remember that Notator v1 was not able to change the meter from 4/4 to 3/4 or any other meter for that matter and they still labeled it, (QUOTE) " a program dedicated to music notation"!

And I still remember too that the programmers then didn't understand what all the fuzz and complaints, coming from different music education communities, was all about! It was hilarious, a bit like apples map joke.

With this in mind and knowing that apple owns Logic, I seriously doubt anything will change for a long time.

Sympathising with your dissatisfaction though!

Regards

Sep 25, 2013 1:55 AM in response to kcstudio

Thank You for that reply. I do not expect too much (any more). As You said, since Notator there has been a long way in developing music software and, we all paid a lot of money for it hoping that composing will less work. And we have to admit, what is going on now is really incredibly good: much better sample libraries, wirless midi controlling, Expression maps (Cubase) and above all: Audio editing in a way we never could imagine 30 years ago. So this is high tech - and if I am asking for such a basic thing in notation, it is like the famous hair in the soup of a five stars restaurant...;-)

Best regards

Feedback to Apple: wrong bar measure and global accidental order in LX!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.