Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

invalid node structure

Hi

I have a user who just passed me a Macbook Pro and noticed that it is stuck in the Apple icon in a loading state.

Based on checks online, entered the following command:

1. Command+S and then enter the command "/sbin/fsck -fy"

Results:

Checking catalog file

Invalid node structure (4, 35105)

Rebuilding catalog B-tree

The volume Macintosh HD could not be repaired.

****FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED*******

2. Further checks, showed that only the Macintosh HD is available and no Recovery Disk is present

3. User also do not recall where she left her recovery CDs.

Can you please advise how I can get the computer working?

Thanks

Shah

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Sep 25, 2013 2:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2013 10:15 AM

If the machine is running OS X 10.6 or earlier, there is no Recovery HD. The drive has malfunctioned, or some other hardware fault has occurred. If you choose to tolerate one such malfunction, boot from the installation disc, erase the drive, reinstall the OS, and then restore the other data from a backup.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 25, 2013 10:15 AM in response to Shah_IT

If the machine is running OS X 10.6 or earlier, there is no Recovery HD. The drive has malfunctioned, or some other hardware fault has occurred. If you choose to tolerate one such malfunction, boot from the installation disc, erase the drive, reinstall the OS, and then restore the other data from a backup.

Sep 25, 2013 10:35 AM in response to Shah_IT

3. User also do not recall where she left her recovery CDs.

Any attempt to repair the corrupted disk using Disk Utility is likely to be temporary, and replacing the HD will require reinstalling the operating system from the MBP's original discs. If the user cannot find them, obtain a replacement set from Apple. They will need the MBP's serial number. The cost is reasonable ($25 or so).

invalid node structure

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.